Bosons: What Do They Do and How Do They Act?

• Thread starter RickBman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bosons
In summary, the photon, Z, and the two W bosons carry the Electroweak charge, with the photon being massless. The gluon carries the Strong force and has a mass, unlike the photon. The Higgs boson is involved in setting a mass for certain particles, but it does not mediate the gravitational force. Bosons can have different properties, such as mass and the type of charge they carry, leading to different behaviors and interactions.
RickBman
Another probably very retarded question I am affraid.Ive only recently been studying all this of my own back so please bare with me. Firstly as i understand it a Photon carries electromagnatism Z and W Bosons carry the strong and weak nuclear forces and the Higgs boson is the missing gravity carrier then what exactly does the Gluon do? Does it have something to do with the nuclear forces? My next question is how does a boson exactly act? To be honest I am a little confused...does it has any sort of mass, does it sort of attach itself to other particles? This maybe a bit of a stupid question i understand just need some guidence please.

Physics news on Phys.org
The photon, Z, and the two W bosons carry the Electroweak charge, of these the photon is massless. The others have mass as the Weak force is range limited. The Gluon carries the Strong force that hold things like Protons and Neutrons together. The Higgs field via the Higgs boson gives some particles their mass (like the Z and W above) but does not carry the Gravitational force. Gravitation is not included in the Standard Model which governs these three forces.

Cosmik debris is right: the gluon mediates the strong force while the W and Z bosons carry the weak force (and photons carry the EM force). The Higgs boson is involved in a process that sets a mass for certain particles, but it does not mediate the gravitational force--if the gravitational force were like the other forces, it would be mediated by something called a "graviton".

Bosons are quite varied. The most familiar one is the photon, which hopefully you have a feel for. It is massless and therefore travels relativistically (i.e. at c), and it does not interact (directly) with other photons, but couples with electromagnetic charges. Thus we observe the typical behavior of photons: they are readily generated in the processes of electrically charged particles and fly at light speed, typically unhindered, until they come into contact with some more electrically charged particles.

Compare this with another boson, the graviton: it has a mass so it travels nonrelativistically (i.e. below c), and it couples to the color charge. Unlike the photon, the gluon actually carries its own color charge (a photon has zero electrical charge), so unlike photons, gluons can interact directly with other gluons. This leads to a phenomenon where pulling apart two gluons creates more and more gluons, and can even create quark-antiquark pairs (these processes can be interpreted in terms of "gluon bundles" or "quark-gluon plasmas"), and so the force gets stronger and stronger the more you try to separate two gluons (see "asymptotic freedom"), unlike any electromagnetic interaction.

Just from the stark differences between photons and gluons, you can begin to see that bosons can have all different kinds of properties.

Last edited:
Oops! I made a really stupid typo in the last post. In the third paragraph, I should have said
Compare this with another boson, the gluon: it has a mass so it travels nonrelativistically (i.e. below c), and it couples to the color charge.
I hope that's clear from the rest of the paragraph. Gotta get my g's straight.

Jolb said:
Oops! I made a really stupid typo in the last post. In the third paragraph, I should have said
Compare this with another boson, the gluon: it has a mass so it travels nonrelativistically (i.e. below c), and it couples to the color charge.
I hope that's clear from the rest of the paragraph. Gotta get my g's straight.
Actually the gluon is massless.

Bill_K said:
Actually the gluon is massless.
You are right. I seriously screwed that post up, sorry.

But you got the important part right. The gluon carries colour charge and therefore couples to its self.

To me the most important part. As this is why it is "strong" and defines how its behaviour changes with energy in a completely different way to the photon.

Related to Bosons: What Do They Do and How Do They Act?

1. What are bosons?

Bosons are a type of subatomic particle that have integral spin, meaning they have a whole number spin value. They are one of the two main categories of particles in the Standard Model of particle physics, the other being fermions.

2. What is the significance of bosons in physics?

Bosons play a crucial role in many fundamental interactions and phenomena in physics. They are responsible for mediating the four fundamental forces - electromagnetic, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, and gravitational - and are also important in understanding concepts such as superconductivity and the Higgs mechanism.

3. How many types of bosons are there?

There are currently five known types of bosons: the photon, W and Z bosons, gluon, and Higgs boson. Each of these bosons has different properties and functions in the Standard Model.

4. Can bosons be observed in everyday life?

Yes, bosons can be observed in everyday life through various phenomena. For example, photons are responsible for the light we see, while gluons hold together the particles in the nucleus of atoms. However, other types of bosons, such as the W and Z bosons, can only be observed in high-energy particle accelerators.

5. Are bosons related to the concept of quantum mechanics?

Yes, bosons are closely related to the principles of quantum mechanics. They follow the rules of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality, and their behavior can be described using mathematical equations derived from quantum mechanics. Bosons are also involved in many quantum phenomena, such as quantum entanglement.