Higgs field as the 5th fundamental force?

In summary, the conversation discusses quantum physics and the concept of force-carrying particles. The Higgs particle, also known as the Higgs boson, is mentioned and the question is raised about whether it is a force carrier or a boson of one of the known forces. A helpful link is also provided for further information.
d-richard
Greetings,
I am brand new to quantum physics. By that I mean I have no idea of the mathematics and know terribly little about the physics. In fact my best background comes from the book QED by Richard Feynman. Anyway, I do know that there are four fundamental forces which have force-carrying particles. I also know that a force-carrying particle is called a boson. But the Higgs particle is often called the Higgs boson. Does that mean that it is a force carrier as well? And if so what force? Or is it a boson of one of the already known forces? Thanks for any answers.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Higgs field as the 5th fundamental force?

1. What is the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is a theoretical field that is thought to permeate throughout the entire universe. It is responsible for giving particles their mass through interactions with the Higgs boson particle.

2. How is the Higgs field related to the other fundamental forces?

The Higgs field is considered to be the 5th fundamental force, alongside gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It is responsible for giving particles their mass, while the other forces govern the interactions between particles.

3. How was the existence of the Higgs field discovered?

The existence of the Higgs field was first theorized in the 1960s by physicist Peter Higgs and others. It was later confirmed in 2012 through experiments at the Large Hadron Collider, where the Higgs boson particle was discovered.

4. What are the implications of the Higgs field being the 5th fundamental force?

If the Higgs field is confirmed to be the 5th fundamental force, it would significantly change our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws that govern it. It would also have implications for future research and potential technological advancements.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Higgs field?

Currently, there are no known direct practical applications of the Higgs field. However, understanding the Higgs field and its interactions with particles could potentially lead to new discoveries and applications in the future.