Boulder vs Pebbles: A Painful Encounter on the Flagstone Patio?

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary, a boulder surrounded by pebbles is a geological formation where a large rock is surrounded by smaller rocks. These formations are formed through weathering and can be found in various landscapes such as riverbeds, beaches, and mountain slopes. They can provide valuable information about the history and geology of an area and may also have cultural or spiritual significance to certain communities.
JamesU
Gold Member
in my backyard, there's a boulder surrounded by pebbles. outside of the pebbles is my flagstone patio.

so anyway, I was on the boulder, looking for my cat (I could see over the wall on top of it) I jumped over the pebbles and onto the flagstone. unfortunately, a pebble was on the flagstone. it went into my heel when I jumped and I've been limping since

Physics news on Phys.org
Somebody needs some Merrell sport sandals.

and some sympathy.

What is a boulder surrounded by pebbles?

A boulder surrounded by pebbles is a geological formation where a large rock, known as a boulder, is surrounded by smaller rocks, known as pebbles.

How are boulders surrounded by pebbles formed?

Boulders surrounded by pebbles are formed through a process called weathering. This is when the boulder is broken down into smaller pieces by elements such as wind, water, and ice. The smaller pieces are then transported by gravity and deposited around the boulder, forming the surrounding pebbles.

Where can boulders surrounded by pebbles be found?

Boulders surrounded by pebbles can be found in various landscapes such as riverbeds, beaches, and mountain slopes. They are also commonly found in areas where glaciers have receded, leaving behind large boulders and smaller pebbles.

What is the significance of boulders surrounded by pebbles?

Boulders surrounded by pebbles can provide valuable information about the history and geology of an area. Their formation can give insight into the type of weathering and erosion processes that have occurred in the past. They can also serve as indicators of past glacial activity.

Can boulders surrounded by pebbles have cultural or spiritual significance?

Yes, boulders surrounded by pebbles can have cultural or spiritual significance to certain cultures or indigenous communities. They may be seen as sacred or have legends and stories associated with them. These formations may also hold historical importance in terms of past human settlements or events.