Find the Value of k: Ball's Momentum and Height

In summary: The next thing to do would be to investigate the coefficient ##k##. Is it really a constant or does it depend on the velocity of impact?That said, you probably still end up with an infinite sum.
Robin04

Homework Statement

We release a ball from a height h and it bounces for a time t. What is the value of k (the quotient of the ball's momentum before and after collision with the ground)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm kind of lost here. :/
[/B]
48027605938_1733783483338.jpg

Attachments

• 48027605938_1733783483338.jpg
    48027605938_1733783483338.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
How many times do you think it bounces before it comes to rest?

PeroK said:
How many times do you think it bounces before it comes to rest?
Well, according to my equations it never comes to rest because k is a quotient and we have to multiply the speed infinite times for it to reach zero. Somehow t has to define the end of the movement, but I don't see how I could do that.

Robin04 said:
Well, according to my equations it never comes to rest because k is a quotient and we have to multiply the speed infinite times for it to reach zero. Somehow t has to define the end of the movement, but I don't see how I could do that.

With the simple mathematical model it bounces an "infinite" number of times, but as each bounce takes less time than the last, that doesn't mean the bouncing lasts an infinite time.

Likes Robin04
PeroK said:
With the simple mathematical model it bounces an "infinite" number of times, but as each bounce takes less time than the last, that doesn't mean the bouncing lasts an infinite time.
So, if I understand it well, the t(n) function that I wrote for the total time of the movement has to have a limit in n->infinity

Robin04 said:
So, if I understand it well, the t(n) function that I wrote for the total time of the movement has to have a limit in n->infinity

Yes, mathematically, take the limit as ##n \rightarrow \infty##.

If you are practically minded, in reality the ball bounces a finite number of times, so the mathematical limit gives an approximation of reality!

PeroK said:
Yes, mathematically, take the limit as ##n \rightarrow \infty##.

If you are practically minded, in reality the ball bounces a finite number of times, so the mathematical limit gives an approximation of reality!

I found a solution. I think I'll do an experiment to check if I got it right. Thank you very much! :)

Robin04 said:
I found a solution. I think I'll do an experiment to check if I got it right. Thank you very much! :)

You can always check the two extreme cases:

As ##t \rightarrow \infty## your formula should have ##k \rightarrow 1##. And, if ##t = t_0## then you should get ##k =0##.

PeroK said:
You can always check the two extreme cases:

As ##t \rightarrow \infty## your formula should have ##k \rightarrow 1##. And, if ##t = t_0## then you should get ##k =0##.

Yes, my solution gives that :)

Likes PeroK
By the way what other ways are there to describe this problem mathematically?

Robin04 said:
By the way what other ways are there to describe this problem mathematically?
The next thing to do would be to investigate the coefficient ##k##. Is it really a constant or does it depend on the velocity of impact?

That said, you probably still end up with an infinite sum.

Or, you could consider the deformation of the ball. At some point it is no longer bouncing and the motion has reduced to internal damped oscillations.

Likes Robin04

1. What is the equation for finding the value of k?

The equation for finding the value of k in this scenario is k = mgh, where m is the mass of the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height the ball is dropped from.

2. How do you measure the momentum of a ball?

The momentum of a ball can be measured by multiplying its mass by its velocity. This can be done using a variety of tools such as a scale to measure mass and a radar gun to measure velocity.

3. Why is it important to find the value of k?

Finding the value of k allows us to calculate the momentum of the ball at any given height. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of the ball and predicting its trajectory in different scenarios.

4. How does the height of the ball affect its momentum?

The height of the ball directly affects its potential energy, which in turn affects its momentum. As the ball is dropped from a higher height, it gains more potential energy and therefore has a higher momentum when it hits the ground.

5. Is the value of k the same for all objects?

No, the value of k can vary depending on the mass, acceleration due to gravity, and height of the object. In this scenario, k is specific to the ball being dropped, but it may be different for other objects with different parameters.