Bouncing charged ball experiment

In summary, this experiment is where you have a metal ball between two plates and you adjust the voltage so that it creates an electric field. The ball will bounce between the plates and it is very clear because it is gravity that is causing it to go faster.
hmiamid
Hello, I would like to share a cool experiment... but not yet experimented for me.
Suppose you have a ball of metal between two plates.
The upper plate is charged - and the lower plate is charged +
There is constant potential between the plates.
When the ball touches the lower plate, it charges positively and it follows the electrical field in the upward direction. Then it bounces against the negative plate.
Let's suppose we have an elastic collision here. At the collision, the ball loses its charge and becomes negative. At the same time, the negative plate is connected to a constant potential putting positive charges away.
After bouncing, the ball will go downwards and continue to accelerate because now it has taken a negative charge. Then it bounces on the lower plate, etc. etc.
At the end the ball would bounce really quickly and frequently between the plates.

Is this true?
Does this experiment have a name? I would like to call it mine otherwise...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
It's a variation on an electric pendulum.
The collision does not need to be very elastic - the voltage can be adjusted to compensate.

The ball touches the -ve plate becoming negative, it is attracted to the +ve plate, touches it, becomes positive, now it is attracted to the negative plate, and back and forth it goes :) it's be at a pretty steady rate.

I've seen it done on a track as well.

If you do it vertically, then the ball will hit the bottom plate harder than the top plate - do you see why?
If you build it, you should find some way to confine the ball - put it in a clear tube or something - so it won't bounce away on you.

It's much clear now. I know why the ball hits harder the bottom, it's because of gravity :)
Thanks for the information.

Very cool experiment. I would like to try it sometime.

There are lots of examples on youtube ... doing vertically would be trickier but adds an extra eye-warp to it if the all you see is the ball bouncing between "floor" and "ceiling". It would make it look like this:

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm#bbe​
lounge4.gif

Related to Bouncing charged ball experiment

1. How does the charge affect the bouncing of the ball?

The charge on the ball can affect the bouncing in two ways: first, it can change the weight of the ball, which can affect its momentum and height of the bounce. Second, if the ball is charged with the same polarity as the surface it is bouncing on, it will repel and bounce higher, while if the polarities are opposite, the ball will be attracted and bounce lower.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

To conduct the bouncing charged ball experiment, you will need a charged ball (such as a rubber ball rubbed with a cloth), a smooth and flat surface (such as a table or floor), and a source of charge (such as a balloon or a static electricity generator).

3. What factors can affect the results of the experiment?

The results of the bouncing charged ball experiment can be affected by several factors. These include the strength of the charge on the ball, the material of the ball, the surface it is bouncing on, and the amount of friction between the ball and the surface. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and humidity can also play a role.

4. Can this experiment be done with different types of charged objects?

Yes, this experiment can be done with different types of charged objects, as long as they are able to hold a charge and are of a similar size and weight to the ball used in the experiment. Some examples of other objects that can be used include plastic or Styrofoam balls, balloons, or even fruits like oranges or apples.

5. What can this experiment teach us about electricity and forces?

The bouncing charged ball experiment can teach us about the effects of electric charge and forces. It demonstrates how charged objects can interact with each other and how these interactions can affect the motion and behavior of objects. It also shows the relationship between charge and weight, and how different polarities can attract or repel each other.