Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary Conditions, Continuum Mechanics

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    Mods: I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in DE's, if you think it would be better there, feel free to move it.

If I have a bunch of particles, which I'm modelling as a continuum, and I want to put periodic boundary conditions which reflect (completely specular reflection) some fraction of the incoming particles, how would I write this as a boundary condition equation?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Leaving aside the question of how a collection of discrete particles are modeled as a continuum, I would think that a probabilistic equation would do just fine. What happens to the particles that are not reflected?
  4. Jul 16, 2008 #3
    If you have enough particles, you can model them as a continuous density function and velocity/momentum function.

How would you formulate a probabilistic equation in terms of a boundary condition for a differential equation.

The particles not reflected are transmitted.
  5. Jul 16, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are you using some sort of lattice Boltzmann approach?

Shiyi Chen and Daniel Martínez, Renwei Mei
    On boundary conditions in lattice Boltzmann methods
    Phys. Fluids 8, 2527 (1996); DOI:10.1063/1.869035

Title: Absorbing boundary and free-surface conditions in the phononic lattice solid by interpolation
    Authors: Huang, L.-J., Mora, P., & Fehler, M. C.
    Journal: Geophysical Journal International, Volume 140, Issue 1, pp. 147-157.

Jeng-Rong Ho, , Chun-Pao Kuo and Wen-Shu Jiaung
    Study of heat transfer in multilayered structure within the framework of dual-phase-lag heat conduction model using lattice Boltzmann method
    International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer
    Volume 46, Issue 1, January 2003, Pages 55-69

There's plenty more, I'm sure. I'm, not an expert, those are what I was able to quickly find.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?