1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bounded Metric

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that [itex] (\mathbb{R},d) [/itex], [itex] d = \frac{\mid x - y \mid}{1 + \mid x - y \mid} [/itex] is a complete metric space.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If [itex] d_u = \mid x - y \mid [/itex], then I can prove this for the Cauchy sequences in [itex] (\mathbb{R},d) [/itex] that are also Cauchy in [itex] (\mathbb{R},d_u) [/itex]. But there may be Cauchy sequences in [itex] (\mathbb{R},d) [/itex] that are not Cauchy in [itex] (\mathbb{R},d_u) [/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you give me an example of one? I don't really think there are any.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3
    I couldn't find one either. How can I prove there are none i.e., there is one-to-one correspondence between the Cauchy sequences of each space?

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose you could find constants m and M such that ##md(x,y) \le d_u(x,y) \le Md(x,y)##? You would have trouble with the M part of that, but remember when you are dealing with Cauchy sequences you only have to worry about small values of |x-y|.

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5
    I don't quite understand what you are getting at, but I have that for n,m sufficiently large and [itex] x_n [/itex] Cauchy in (R,d), [itex] \frac{\mid x_n - x_m \mid}{1 + \mid x_n - x_m \mid} < \epsilon \rightarrow \mid x_n - x_m \mid < \frac{1}{1 - \epsilon} [/itex]. So [itex] x_n [/itex] is Cauchy in (R,d_u).

7. Feb 16, 2013 #6
    Does this work?

8. Feb 16, 2013 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see how that works, because ##1/(1-\epsilon)## does not approach 0 as ##\epsilon \rightarrow 0##.

Suppose that
    $$\frac{|x-y|}{1 + |x-y|} \leq \frac{1}{2}$$
    Then we have
    $$\begin{align}
    |x-y| &= \frac{|x-y|}{1+|x-y|} \cdot (1 + |x-y|) \\
    &= \frac{|x-y|}{1+|x-y|} + \frac{|x-y|}{1+|x-y|} \cdot |x-y| \\
    &<= \frac{|x-y|}{1+|x-y|} + \frac{1}{2}|x-y| \\
    \end{align}$$
    So
    $$|x-y| \leq 2\frac{|x-y|}{1 + |x-y|}$$
    This should allow you to conclude that Cauchy in ##d## implies Cauchy in ##d_u##.

By the way, did you already prove that ##d## is a metric?

9. Feb 16, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

junniiii as already done a fine job of pointing out why it doesn't work. My point was that you only have to worry around small values of ε. If |x-y|<1 then d and d_u are almost the same. They differ by a factor of at most 2.

10. Feb 17, 2013 #9
    Dick: Ok I understand now.

jbunniii: Yes I did prove d is a metric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook