Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bounds of a band pass filter for image processing

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I'm working on some image analysis as a part of my research, specifically trying to match images. The method I am using transforms the image into the frequency domain and then applies a band pass (or mesa) filter to eliminate noise and the dc component of the image.

I have never done this kind of work before so maybe I am on the wrong track, but for the filter, I don't understand how the bounds of the filter should be assessed, i.e where the cutoff frequencies should be or how fast the cutoff should grow. I've basically been running for-loops to check all the different values, but my gut is telling me there should be a way to calculate these values. Am I wrong? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2011 #2
    There frequency for an image filter refers to the frequency of change of pixels as a function of x and y. Something that is minimum frequency (~0) will be when a pixel level is constant across the entire axis. The maximum frequency (~1/N) will be when pixels alternate.

If your noise is pixel-by-pixel (and if your image doesn't change that fast, then that would be where you've put your cut-off frequency (between the two). Generally you'll probably use a low-pass filter rather than a band-pass filter (most noise is high frequency while most signal is low frequency - though there is no hard-and-fast rule about that).

4. Jun 20, 2011 #3
    That's very helpful, thank you. Do you know of any good books or articles that would go further in depth?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook