Bounds of a band pass filter for image processing

In summary, the conversation discusses using a band pass filter to eliminate noise and the DC component of an image in frequency domain analysis. The speaker is unsure of how to determine the bounds of the filter and has been using for-loops to check different values. Other methods, such as using a low-pass filter, are suggested and the speaker asks for recommendations for further reading on the topic.
jsr9119
Hi all,

I'm working on some image analysis as a part of my research, specifically trying to match images. The method I am using transforms the image into the frequency domain and then applies a band pass (or mesa) filter to eliminate noise and the dc component of the image.

I have never done this kind of work before so maybe I am on the wrong track, but for the filter, I don't understand how the bounds of the filter should be assessed, i.e where the cutoff frequencies should be or how fast the cutoff should grow. I've basically been running for-loops to check all the different values, but my gut is telling me there should be a way to calculate these values. Am I wrong? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff

Technology news on Phys.org
There frequency for an image filter refers to the frequency of change of pixels as a function of x and y. Something that is minimum frequency (~0) will be when a pixel level is constant across the entire axis. The maximum frequency (~1/N) will be when pixels alternate.

If your noise is pixel-by-pixel (and if your image doesn't change that fast, then that would be where you've put your cut-off frequency (between the two). Generally you'll probably use a low-pass filter rather than a band-pass filter (most noise is high frequency while most signal is low frequency - though there is no hard-and-fast rule about that).

That's very helpful, thank you. Do you know of any good books or articles that would go further in depth?

What is a band pass filter?

A band pass filter is a type of signal processing filter that allows only a certain range of frequencies to pass through while attenuating frequencies outside of that range. This is useful for removing noise from signals or isolating specific features of a signal.

How is a band pass filter used in image processing?

In image processing, a band pass filter can be used to enhance specific features in an image by removing unwanted frequencies. This can be helpful in tasks such as edge detection or image sharpening.

What are the bounds of a band pass filter for image processing?

The bounds of a band pass filter for image processing refer to the specific range of frequencies that the filter allows to pass through. This range is typically defined by a lower and upper cutoff frequency.

Can the bounds of a band pass filter be adjusted?

Yes, the bounds of a band pass filter can be adjusted according to the specific needs of the image processing task. This can be done by changing the values of the cutoff frequencies or by using different types of band pass filters with different frequency ranges.

What factors should be considered when selecting the bounds of a band pass filter for image processing?

When selecting the bounds of a band pass filter for image processing, it is important to consider the frequency characteristics of the image and the specific features that need to be enhanced or removed. It is also important to consider the trade-off between noise reduction and feature preservation when choosing the cutoff frequencies.