Bouyant force accelerates released balloon

In summary, the balloon's upward acceleration is due to the weight of the air displaced by the balloon and the gravitational force of the earth.
johns123

Homework Statement

A small balloon filled with helium is released. What is it's initial upward acceleration? The only data given is ρ air = 1.29 kg/m^3 and ρ helium is .18 kg/m^3

I assume the bouyant force ( FB ) = the weight of the air displaced by the balloon

so BF = W(air) = ρ(air) * g * VolB = MassB * Accel

and VolB = MassB / ρ(helium)

Homework Equations

so Accel = [ ρ(air) / ρ(he) ] * g = ( 1.29 / .18 ) * 9.81 = 70.3 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer in the book is 61 m/s^2, and I found that ρ(air) and ρ(he) change with temperature, but I have not been able to get the answer in the book. At ρ(air) 20degrees C, I get Acc = 65.4 m/s^2 which is still too high.

Physics news on Phys.org
johns123 said:
I assume the bouyant force ( FB ) = the weight of the air displaced by the balloon
Don't forget the weight of the balloon (well, the helium inside) itself.

Maybe something like BF = W(air) - W(he) = g * VolB( p(air) - p(he) ) = MassB * Acc

then Acc = [ p(air) - p(he) / p(he) ] * g = [ (1.29 - .18) / .18 ] * 9.81 = 60.5 !

You sir, are a freakin' genius :-)

Finally, I see the concept: It's 2 problems in one. Net Force vertical .. and .. bouyant force vertical.

Net Force = BF(air) - W(he) = W(air) - W(he) = p(air)*g*VolB - p(he)*g*VolB = MassB*Acc = p(he)*VolB*Acc

then Acc = g * [ p(air) - p(he) ] / p(he) = 60.5 m/s^2 which is the correct answer.

I wonder if this is also true of an object under water ? And we just ignore the gravitational attraction since it is only a very small part of the answer ? Like I've been doing.

For something filled with gas, under water, you can usually neglect the gravitational force on the gas, right.

Yes. But when I needed to not ignore it, I didn't have a clue. It still seems a bit strange, but I finally realized that the gravitational force on the object was independent of it's volume and had to be considered separately. I might see this problem again with a heavy submarine .. and I'll be watching for it. Thanks MFB.

1. What is the bouyant force?

The bouyant force is an upward force exerted by a fluid (such as air or water) on an object immersed in it. This force is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How does the bouyant force accelerate a released balloon?

When a balloon is released, the air inside the balloon is less dense than the surrounding air. This causes the balloon to experience a net upward force, or bouyant force, which accelerates it in the upward direction.

3. Why does the bouyant force accelerate the balloon upwards?

The bouyant force is directly proportional to the volume of the object immersed in the fluid. Since the balloon has a large volume compared to its weight, it experiences a greater upward force, causing it to accelerate upwards.

4. Does the size of the balloon affect the acceleration due to bouyant force?

Yes, the size of the balloon does affect the acceleration due to bouyant force. The larger the volume of the balloon, the greater the bouyant force and therefore, the greater the acceleration upwards.

5. What other factors can affect the acceleration of a released balloon due to bouyant force?

The density of the fluid, the weight of the balloon, and the shape of the balloon can all affect the acceleration due to bouyant force. Objects with a greater density or weight will experience a smaller bouyant force and therefore, a smaller acceleration. The shape of the balloon can also affect the distribution of the bouyant force and therefore, the direction and magnitude of the acceleration.