Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bowling Ball problem

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    A bowling ball is suspended from the ceiling of a lecture hall by a strong cord. The ball is drawn away from its equilibrium position and released from rest at the tip of the demonstrator's nose, as shown in Figure Q5.8.

q5-8.gif

If the demonstrator remains stationary, explain why the ball does not strike her on its return swing.

Would this demonstration be safe if the ball were given a push from its starting position at her nose?

yes
    no
    I know its no, but I cant put it into words why. Please help

Explain.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2
    Conservation of energy.

4. Oct 25, 2006 #3
    ^ can you provide a more detailed explanation on both please

5. Oct 25, 2006 #4

AVD

neglecting air resistance, Kinetic energy would be conserved & the ball would not go any further than its starting point (this is common sense)

However, if there is a push at the beginning, there is an initial kinetic energy, meaning on its return swing, the ball will go further than the point from where it was pushed until Ke = 0. Since Ke did not equal 0 on the initial swing (if there is a push), it would not equal zero at that same point upon its return, meaning it would still be in motion, meaning it would clock her in the face :)

I know my explanation isn't exactly clear but I hope it helps

6. Oct 26, 2006 #5
    thank u that helped

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook