1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Box hanging from a rope, need to know the force.

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    A 23 kg box hangs from a rope. What is the tension in the rope if the following are true?

a)The box is at rest?
    b)The box moves up at a steady 5.0 m/s?
    c)The box has Vy = 5.0 m/s and is speeding up at 5.0 m/s^2?
    d)The box has Vy = 5.0 m/s and is slowing down at 5.0 m/s^2

I have gotten a) = 225.4N. Because acceleration is 0. I do not know how to go about solving the other three parts though.

I know the force of gravity is acting on the box in addition to the tension force.

For b):
    Since velocity is constant, I would think that the forces would be in equilibrium. But apparently I am wrong. I really have no idea how to solve this.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2
    I figured it out. Now I feel stupid. Since acceleration is 0 (constant velocity), there would be no change in the force. So for b) the answer would still be 225.4N.

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is good, now try 'c' and 'd' using Newtons 2nd law. Welcome to PF!

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4
    Thanks.

Yeah, sorry I never replied back last night. But I did get the right answers. As soon as I figured out what was going on, everything just clicked.

What I was doing wrong for c and d was that I wasn't accounting for the the change in force. I just found the force with those particular amounts of acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook