Solve Bracelet Problem w/14 Beads (Red, White, Blue)

• MHB
  • Thread starter mrtwhs
  • Start date
In summary, there is a total of 6036 essentially different bracelets that can be made from 14 beads consisting of 6 red beads, 5 white beads, and 3 blue beads. This is obtained using Burnside's lemma and considering 28 elements in the transformation group, including the identity, 13 rotations, 7 reflections along lines between 2 beads, and 7 reflections through 2 beads. The formula used is (14!/6!5!3! + 7*120)/28. There is currently no known better strategy for solving this problem.
mrtwhs
How many essentially different bracelets can be made from 14 beads consisting of 6 red beads, 5 white beads, and 3 blue beads? Arrangements obtained by rotation or reflection are considered equivalent.

I have being trying to use Burnside's lemma to solve this. My group of transformations has 28 elements - the identity, 13 rotations, 7 reflections along lines between 2 beads, and 7 reflections through 2 beads. Number the beads from 1 to 14. Here is an example of a reflection between 2 beads: (1 14)(2 13)(3 12)(4 11)(5 10)(6 9)(7 8). Here is an example of a reflection through 2 beads: (1)(2 14)(3 13)(4 12)(5 11)(6 10)(7 9)(8).

My solution is: \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\dfrac{14!}{6!5!3!} + 7 \cdot 120}{28}=6036\).

Can anyone confirm this or point out my error or provide a better strategy?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll confirm it.
And no, I'm not aware of a better strategy.

1. What is the "Solve Bracelet Problem" with 14 beads?

The "Solve Bracelet Problem" refers to a mathematical puzzle where a bracelet with 14 beads of red, white, and blue colors is given. The goal is to arrange the beads in a specific pattern, following a set of rules, to solve the puzzle.

2. What are the rules for solving the bracelet problem?

The rules for solving the bracelet problem are as follows:

• There must be 4 red beads, 4 white beads, and 6 blue beads.
  • The first and last beads must be different colors.
  • The number of red and white beads must be the same on both sides of the bracelet.
  • The number of blue beads must be greater than the number of red and white beads on both sides of the bracelet.

3. Is there only one solution to the bracelet problem?

Yes, there is only one solution to the bracelet problem. The solution is as follows:

• Red, White, Blue, Red, Blue, Blue, Red, White, Blue, Red, Blue, Blue, Red, White

4. What is the significance of solving the bracelet problem?

The bracelet problem is a fun and challenging puzzle that helps improve problem-solving skills and logical thinking. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science, where similar problems can be encountered and solved using similar techniques.

5. Can the bracelet problem be solved with a different number of beads?

No, the bracelet problem can only be solved with 14 beads. The specific number of beads is crucial to the puzzle's rules and solution. Changing the number of beads would result in a different problem with different rules and solutions.