Expanding Subscripts & Putting TeX in Board Posts

• Thread starter bigplanet401
  • Start date
In summary: For symmetrizing, we use round brackets. For example, the linearized graviton field has the irreducible Lagrangian infinitesimal gauge transformationsThis is incorrect. The symmetric part of a matrix is \frac{1}{2}(A+A^T) and the antisymmetric part of a matrix is \frac{1}{2}(A-A^T).
bigplanet401
I. What does

A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]}

mean? How do you expand this?

II. How do you put TeX in board posts?

Physics news on Phys.org
bigplanet401 said:
I. What does

A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]}

mean? How do you expand this?

II. How do you put TeX in board posts?

[ tex ] A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]} [ /tex ] (remove the spaces in the tags)
[tex] A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]} [/tex] (click the on the equation to see)

[tex] A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]} =\frac{1}{2!}\left( A_{\alpha} B_{\beta} - A_{\beta} B_{\alpha} \right)[/tex] the "antisymmetric part of [tex] A_{\alpha} B_{\beta} [/tex]"

It's not necessary to use the numerical factor (we call it "weght"). See for example the em. tensor in vacuum. U can use the "no number convention" (i use it)

[tex] F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]} [/tex]

or the one Rob exemplified, when an ugly 2 comes up

[tex] F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:2 \partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]} [/tex]

Daniel.

And for symmetrizing, we use round brackets. For example, the linearized graviton field has the irreducible Lagrangian infinitesimal gauge transformations

[tex] \delta_{\epsilon}h_{\left(\mu\nu\right)}(x) =\partial_{(\mu}\epsilon_{\nu)}(x) [/tex]

or with the "2", if you use an analogue convention Rob used.

Daniel.

While the combinatorial factor I used may be conventional, I believe it is the preferred convention. See, for example, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/AntisymmetricTensor.html

Note that the "symmetric part" of a matrix is [tex]\frac{1}{2}(A+A^T)[/tex] and the "antisymmetric part" of a matrix is [tex]\frac{1}{2}(A-A^T)[/tex]. (Similarly, the "real part of a complex number z" is [tex]\frac{1}{2}(z+\bar z)[/tex] and "imaginary part of a complex number z" is [tex]\frac{1}{2i}(z-\bar z)[/tex].)

So, one can write the matrix equation
[tex] A= A_{SYM} + A_{ANTISYM} [/tex]
and an analogous tensorial equation
[tex] \begin{align*}
A_{ab} &=
\frac{1}{2}( A_{ab} + A_{ba} )+
\frac{1}{2}( A_{ab} - A_{ba} )
\\
&=
A_{(ab)} + A_{[ab]} \\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Note, if A is antisymmetric, then we can write
[tex] A_{ab} = A_{[ab]} [/tex].

dextercioby said:
It's not necessary to use the numerical factor (we call it "weght"). See for example the em. tensor in vacuum. U can use the "no number convention" (i use it)

[tex] F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]} [/tex]

or the one Rob exemplified, when an ugly 2 comes up

[tex] F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:2 \partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]} [/tex]

Daniel.

I think there is an inconsistency in your use of the brackets in the "no number convention" [tex] F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]} [/tex]

If "bracket" means "sum the alternating permutations without dividing by the combinatorial factor", then you must write for an antisymmetric F:
[tex]F_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=\frac{1}{2}(F_{\mu\nu}-F_{\nu\mu})[/tex] or [tex]2F_{\mu\nu}=F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}[/tex]

I didn't in any place claim that

[tex] F_{[\mu\nu]}=F_{\mu\nu}-F_{\nu\mu} [/tex]

So no inconsistency. Whatsoever.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I didn't in any place claim that

[tex] F_{[\mu\nu]}=F_{\mu\nu}-F_{\nu\mu} [/tex]

So no inconsistency. Whatsoever.

Daniel.

So, maybe I am misunderstanding what your "no number convention" is.
What does [tex]\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}[/tex] mean in your convention?
[tex]\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}\stackrel{?}{=}\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}[/tex] or
[tex]\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}\stackrel{?}{=}\frac{1}{2!}\left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\right)[/tex]?

Obviously the first.

Daniel.

1. What is the purpose of expanding subscripts and putting TeX in board posts?

The purpose of expanding subscripts and putting TeX in board posts is to allow for more advanced mathematical and scientific notation in online discussions and forums. This can help clarify and accurately communicate complex equations and formulas.

2. How do I use expanding subscripts in my board posts?

To use expanding subscripts, you can enclose the subscript in curly braces, followed by an underscore. For example, typing "H{2}O" will display as H2O in your post.

3. Can I use TeX in all online forums and discussions?

No, not all online forums and discussions support TeX. It is important to check the forum's guidelines or formatting options to see if TeX is supported before attempting to use it in your posts.

4. Are there any resources or guides available for learning how to use TeX in board posts?

Yes, there are many online resources and guides available for learning how to use TeX in board posts. Some popular resources include the TeX Users Group (TUG) website, which provides a comprehensive guide and tutorials for beginners, as well as various online communities and forums dedicated to TeX and LaTeX.

5. Can I customize the appearance of TeX in my board posts?

Yes, you can use various commands and packages in TeX to customize the appearance of equations and formulas in your board posts. This allows for more flexibility and creativity in presenting your mathematical and scientific notation.