Break points in band structure

In summary: J71wsyJvPPFResRxqxvyr1zvPk%3DIn summary, break points in band structure refer to the points where two bands intersect in the εnk vs. k plot. This occurs when the band index is chosen in such a way that the energies are indexed in ascending order for any k, resulting in sharp edges or discontinuities in the plot, often seen in dirac cone type structures.
chikou24i
What do we mean by break points in band structure ? and what that sentence means : "if the band index were chosen in such a way that the energies are indexed in ascending order for any k then break points would appear in the εnk vs. k plot (with n fixed) wherever two lines intersect." ?
Reference: [Jenö_Sólyom,_A._Piróth]_Fundamentals_of_the_Physics of solids Volume II, page 85

sorry, I didn't understand what you have said.

chikou24i said:
sorry, I didn't understand what you have said.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that it's trying to describe what happens when 2 bands intersect. If 2 bands intersect, and you index band 1 has the "lower energy" band, and band 2 as the higher energy band

$$\epsilon_1(k)$$ would look like a surface with sharp edges (discontinuous) for dirac cone type structures. Maybe the dirac cone is a break point?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dir...=OcL_Vtm9POmpjgTwlbHwDw#imgrc=FS6VEyJMufMagM:

Likes chikou24i

What are break points in band structure?

Break points in band structure refer to the points at which the band structure changes significantly. These changes can occur due to factors such as changes in the material's composition, temperature, or external stimuli.

Why are break points important in band structure analysis?

Break points can provide valuable information about the electronic properties of a material. They can indicate the presence of defects, impurities, or phase transitions, and can also affect the material's conductivity and other physical properties.

How are break points identified in band structure calculations?

Break points can be identified through various computational methods, such as density functional theory (DFT) calculations or tight-binding models. Experimentally, techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) can also be used to determine the band structure and identify break points.

Can break points be controlled or manipulated in band structure engineering?

Yes, break points can be manipulated through various methods, such as changing the material's composition, applying external stimuli, or using different techniques for band structure calculations. This can be useful for designing materials with specific electronic properties for various applications.

What are the potential applications of studying break points in band structure?

Studying break points in band structure can have applications in various fields, such as semiconductor technology, materials science, and renewable energy. It can also aid in the development of new materials with desired electronic properties for applications such as transistors, solar cells, and batteries.