Breaking SU(3)xU(1) to SU(2) Exercise: A Search for Solutions

• Thread starter arivero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the conversation discusses the exercise of breaking Higgs SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) down to SU(2) and the possibility of finding a solution online. The topic also relates to compactifications of extra Kaluza Klein dimensions and the survival of U(1) EM. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding a similar example in dynamical breaking of chiral QCD.
arivero
Gold Member
Can anyone provide a pointer to the exercise of higgs breaking SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) down to SU(2)? I expect it to be solved somewhere in the web...

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be pretty easy. What is it, exactly, that you're interested in?

BenTheMan said:
It should be pretty easy. What is it, exactly, that you're interested in?

First, to check I am guessing it right. The Higgs content, etc. And what happens with U(1): do we forcefully get the nonchiral U(1) of electromagnetism, or does it depend of the breaking?

As you say, it is easy and one could expect to find it in some web of solved QFT exercises.

My long shot is to relate the breakings with the compactifications of extra Kaluza Klein dimensions. I would expect Standard Model ---> SU(2) to correspond with a compactification from dimension 10 or 11 to dimension 6.

arivero said:
First, to check I am guessing it right. The Higgs content, etc. And what happens with U(1): do we forcefully get the nonchiral U(1) of electromagnetism, or does it depend of the breaking?

Well, you don't necessarily have to get U(1) EM, because that is a very specific linear combination that survives.

As you say, it is easy and one could expect to find it in some web of solved QFT exercises.

My long shot is to relate the breakings with the compactifications of extra Kaluza Klein dimensions. I would expect Standard Model ---> SU(2) to correspond with a compactification from dimension 10 or 11 to dimension 6.

Well, it depends on what you're compactifying on. You can't break gauge symmetries if you compactify on a circle---you have to compactify on an orbifold. Then you have to figure out where the gauge bosons live, and how to assign them boundary conditions.

We'll just have to work it out, I doubt that you'd find it online anywhere. It seems like a non-standard textbook exercize.

Hello,

don't you have similar example from dynamical breaking of chiral QCD ?

Barmecides said:
Hello,

don't you have similar example from dynamical breaking of chiral QCD ?

Hmm, but there is not Higgs field involved there, is there? In any case I will check Donoghue et al. :smile:

1. What is SU(3)xU(1) breaking exercise?

SU(3)xU(1) breaking exercise is a theoretical exercise in particle physics that involves breaking the symmetry of the special unitary group SU(3) and the unitary group U(1). This is done to explain the differences in mass and interactions of particles in the Standard Model.

2. Why is SU(3)xU(1) breaking important in particle physics?

SU(3)xU(1) breaking is important because it allows for the unification of three of the fundamental forces in nature - the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces. It also helps to explain the masses of particles, which would otherwise be completely symmetric in the Standard Model.

3. How is SU(3)xU(1) breaking achieved?

SU(3)xU(1) breaking is achieved through the Higgs mechanism, which involves the spontaneous breaking of the symmetry of the Higgs field. This results in the generation of mass for particles and the formation of the Higgs boson.

4. What is the role of the Higgs boson in SU(3)xU(1) breaking?

The Higgs boson is crucial in SU(3)xU(1) breaking as it is responsible for giving mass to particles through the Higgs mechanism. It is also the only particle predicted by the Standard Model that had not been observed until its discovery in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider.

5. Are there any experimental implications of SU(3)xU(1) breaking?

Yes, there are several experimental implications of SU(3)xU(1) breaking. One of the most significant is the prediction of the existence of new particles, such as the W and Z bosons, which were later discovered in experiments. It also provides a framework for studying the behavior of particles at high energies and may lead to new discoveries in the future.