Breaking The Speed Of Light!

• Thread starter Rasine
  • Start date
Danger
Gold Member
panthera said:
hey i just meant we can consider it to travel faster than light in a medium NOT air....i mean the music in air may travel faster than C in medium(other than air) ...i think i confused u....
I think that I see what you mean, but if so then it doesn't actually apply here. It appears that you are setting up a situation similar to a car on a dock racing against a boat in the water beside it. Obviously, sound in air travels a lot faster than light in molasses, but it doesn't provide any practical benefits.

Danger said:
I think that I see what you mean, but if so then it doesn't actually apply here. It appears that you are setting up a situation similar to a car on a dock racing against a boat in the water beside it. Obviously, sound in air travels a lot faster than light in molasses, but it doesn't provide any practical benefits.
yes i know but else its impossible to send information faster than light. so i took that only possible case.

Danger
Gold Member
panthera said:
so i took that only possible case.
As sneaky approach, I must admit. (You're studying law, aren't you?)

Danger said:
As sneaky approach, I must admit. (You're studying law, aren't you?)
would you elaborate? the question has no answer so i told the only possibility which can hold good...whats wrong there?

Danger
Gold Member
panthera said:
would you elaborate? the question has no answer so i told the only possibility which can hold good...whats wrong there?
What I meant was that you're thinking like a lawyer. You casually slipped into a different set of circumstances without making it obvious that you were doing so, and thus bypassed the original question. Since the thread-starter was referring to a technique described as 'superluminal', and that means 'faster than light in the same medium', your answer didn't apply to the question. I'm not faulting your approach, merely pointing out that it's of no benefit to the OP.

i agree what you are saying ...i only posted it as i thought may be the author has missed some point. it is not unusual to hear such comments in a discussion.isn't it?

Danger
Gold Member
panthera said:
i agree what you are saying ...i only posted it as i thought may be the author has missed some point. it is not unusual to hear such comments in a discussion.isn't it?
I've seen a few, but remember that I'm new here. Anyhow, I gotta get to work now. Catch you later.

pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
My $.02. The experiment is not very convicing. It may look good on the surface, but not when you dig deeper.

The situation is somewhat like this. Suppose I claim that I have a psychic that can receive "information" faster than light. And I have an experimental result that supports this. The experiment runs as follows:

We have a mechanism that generates the following numbers - it's not random, it's a pre-recorded message. It goes something like this:

We send the first 12 numbers in the sequence, and we ask the psychic to predict the next number in the sequence before it arrives. The psychic, based on the information that was received, correctly predicts that the next number in the sequence is 13.

Have we convicingly experimentally demonstrated the transmission of "information" faster than light by psychic means? I would say that we have not.

How does this analogy relate to the experiment? - Mozart is music, which is a strictly band-limited signal. The propagation delays being measured are on the orders of fractions of nanoseconds (less, actually). On this scale, Mozart looks essentially flat, because the highest frequency in music is 20 khz. 20 khz * 1 ns is 20 / 1,000,000 of a cycle. Over an interval of such a short duration, sines and cosines look essentially flat.

To be convicing, a much wider bandwidth signal would need to be sent, or a much larger timespan than a few nanoseconds would need to be used if one insists on using Mozart.