Breaking up two trig functions

In summary, "breaking up" two trig functions means separating them into individual terms or factors. This can be done using trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the expression. Breaking up two trig functions can make it easier to solve problems, identify common factors, and simplify complex expressions. There is no specific method for breaking up two trig functions, as it depends on the expression and the trigonometric identities and properties that can be used. While breaking up two trig functions can change the value of the expression, it should still be equivalent to the original expression.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok can someone explain to me how this is done. I have no idea how in hell it got broken into those two.

Attachments

• pic1.png
    pic1.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Search for "product to sum formulas"

wow I'm stupid

1. What does it mean to "break up" two trig functions?

"Breaking up" two trig functions means to separate them into individual terms or factors. This is often done to simplify an expression or to find common factors between two expressions.

2. How do I break up two trig functions?

To break up two trig functions, you can use the trigonometric identities and properties to rewrite the expression. For example, you can use the double angle, half angle, or sum and difference identities to simplify the expression into individual terms.

3. Why would I need to break up two trig functions?

Breaking up two trig functions can make it easier to solve a problem or to evaluate an expression. It can also help identify common factors or simplify complex expressions.

4. Is there a specific method for breaking up two trig functions?

There is no one specific method for breaking up two trig functions. It depends on the expression and the trigonometric identities and properties that can be used to simplify it.

5. Can breaking up two trig functions change the value of the expression?

Yes, breaking up two trig functions can change the value of the expression. This is because by simplifying the expression, you are essentially rewriting it in a different form. However, the value should remain equivalent to the original expression.