What are the responsibilities and considerations of breeding animals for profit?

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary: It's about "I want to breed a certain animal for its unique qualities and to improve the gene pool for that particular animal."
NeoDevin
Just curious, does anyone here do any animal breeding and make a profit from it (or at least make enough to cover expenses for the hobby)?

What sorts of animals have you bred? How much fun is it? How much work is it? How much of a profit can you make with different animals?

Physics news on Phys.org
After my last arrest, one of the conditions of release is that I am no longer allowed to breed animals. It certainly was fun, but I've never heard of anyone doing it for money.

A friend I know has been breeding "chinchillas" I think he is going to be breeding them for shows and not for pelts. but I am not sure, he started about a year ago, I will ask him how he is doing and if he has made any money yet and post a reply back.

I think its stupid, even if they are purebred, its still just like a puppy mill (or whatever other animal you are breeding), when there are so many that need saving out in the world.

sas3 said:
A friend I know has been breeding "chinchillas" I think he is going to be breeding them for shows and not for pelts. but I am not sure, he started about a year ago, I will ask him how he is doing and if he has made any money yet and post a reply back.

Coats made out of Chinchilla pelts, yuck.

I beg to differ...

On a moral level I don't really have an oppinion but on a purely aesthetic level fur coats = :yuck:

I did have a gf whos mother bred rare dogs(on a small harmless scale) and presumably made money doing it. Was it worth all the yapping though? Probably not.

Last edited:
dontdisturbmycircles said:
On a moral level I don't really have an oppinion but on a purely aesthetic level fur coats = :yuck:

I agree on that. I don't like the look of fur coats at all. It looks old-fashioned to me. I'd much rather see them all turned inside out, so the fur is used as a lining to add real warmth, not on the outside just for appearance.

The problem with people breeding animals as a "hobby" is that they often don't know enough to have any business in doing it. They just get a breeding pair without knowing much about their background and let them go at it. A responsible breeder is carefully considering the genetics of the pair they are breeding, will have some potential buyers lined up before they breed (never a guarantee, but helps to make sure they will find homes for all the animals), will be thoroughly educated about health, husbandry and nutrient requirements for a pregnant animal, as well as a lactating animal and litter, will provide all the vaccinations, won't let the offspring go until they are properly weaned, etc. It's not about "Oh, puppies are cute, I want to have some!"

What is the purpose of breeding animals for profit?

The purpose of breeding animals for profit is to produce offspring with desirable traits that can be sold for a higher price, thereby increasing the profitability of the breeding operation.

What are some common methods used in breeding animals for profit?

Some common methods used in breeding animals for profit include selective breeding, artificial insemination, and embryo transfer. These methods allow breeders to control which animals mate and produce offspring with desired traits.

What are the potential ethical concerns associated with breeding animals for profit?

Some potential ethical concerns associated with breeding animals for profit include the possibility of overbreeding, exploitation of animals for profit, and neglect or mistreatment of animals. It is important for breeders to prioritize the well-being and health of their animals.

How does breeding animals for profit impact genetic diversity?

Breeding animals for profit can have a negative impact on genetic diversity if breeders prioritize certain traits over others and continually breed with a limited gene pool. This can result in an increased risk of genetic diseases and a decrease in overall genetic diversity within a breed.

What are some considerations for responsible breeding for profit?

Responsible breeding for profit involves considering the health and well-being of the animals, maintaining genetic diversity, and ensuring that the breeding operation is sustainable and does not contribute to overpopulation. Breeders should also be transparent about their practices and prioritize proper care and treatment of their animals.