Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bridge Excitation Accuracy

1. Aug 29, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I'm trying to decide how I will provide excitation voltage to the wheatstone bridge of a load cell. The output of the load cell will be amplified by an LT1167 In-Amp. How concerned should I be about the precision/accuracy of the excitation voltage? Since the In-Amp will reject common mode voltages (which should include any fluctuations caused by change in excitation voltage) would a standard +-5% linear regulator work without introducing and real error in the output?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you looking at bridge output as instrument output, or are you balancing the bridge and looking at the balance as instrument output?

4. Aug 29, 2006 #3
    Bridge output as instrument output.

5. Aug 29, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then, accuracy is a linear function of excitation voltage; output is proportional to excitation voltage. 5% in excitation is 5% in output. If you're going to use that as input to a control circuit and drive that to a "zero set-point," no sweat. If you're buying or selling bulk material by weight, you're screwed.

6. Aug 29, 2006 #5
    Wouldn't any variations in excitation voltage be common mode since only the difference between IN+ and IN- from the load cell is amplified?

7. Aug 29, 2006 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's the output of the cell under load at a zero excitation voltage? At 1 V? At 10? The bridge is a passive device. It's output is the difference between the voltages at mid-points on two voltage dividers. If by "common mode," you mean that the amp gain is a linear function of excitation voltage, you're gonna have to post the specs on the 1167. "In-amp" ain't something I've run into, but I ain't been in the game lately. I've been talking on the assumption that "In" is short for "instrumentation amp," a souped up op-amp. Without some input giving it "information" on excitation voltage, it has no way of knowing what scale factor to apply to gain, given a variable bridge output for fixed load.

8. Aug 30, 2006 #7
    Thank you for making some sense of what I was saying. I wasn't thinking clearly but I understand what you are saying now. Your explanation was very helpful as I am definitely not an expert with this stuff.

9. Aug 30, 2006 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome. I failed to point out that the usual use of "common mode rejection" refers to "stray" inputs that appear simultaneously at both inputs to an op-amp --- inductive pick-up of power line noise, or other environmental phenomena.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?