Is Precision of Excitation Voltage Important for Load Cell Accuracy?

In summary: If you're just powering a load cell using an op-amp as an amplifier, then you're not going to have any of those problems.
j777
Hello,

I'm trying to decide how I will provide excitation voltage to the wheatstone bridge of a load cell. The output of the load cell will be amplified by an LT1167 In-Amp. How concerned should I be about the precision/accuracy of the excitation voltage? Since the In-Amp will reject common mode voltages (which should include any fluctuations caused by change in excitation voltage) would a standard +-5% linear regulator work without introducing and real error in the output?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you looking at bridge output as instrument output, or are you balancing the bridge and looking at the balance as instrument output?

Bridge output as instrument output.

Then, accuracy is a linear function of excitation voltage; output is proportional to excitation voltage. 5% in excitation is 5% in output. If you're going to use that as input to a control circuit and drive that to a "zero set-point," no sweat. If you're buying or selling bulk material by weight, you're screwed.

Wouldn't any variations in excitation voltage be common mode since only the difference between IN+ and IN- from the load cell is amplified?

What's the output of the cell under load at a zero excitation voltage? At 1 V? At 10? The bridge is a passive device. It's output is the difference between the voltages at mid-points on two voltage dividers. If by "common mode," you mean that the amp gain is a linear function of excitation voltage, you're going to have to post the specs on the 1167. "In-amp" ain't something I've run into, but I ain't been in the game lately. I've been talking on the assumption that "In" is short for "instrumentation amp," a souped up op-amp. Without some input giving it "information" on excitation voltage, it has no way of knowing what scale factor to apply to gain, given a variable bridge output for fixed load.

Thank you for making some sense of what I was saying. I wasn't thinking clearly but I understand what you are saying now. Your explanation was very helpful as I am definitely not an expert with this stuff.

Welcome. I failed to point out that the usual use of "common mode rejection" refers to "stray" inputs that appear simultaneously at both inputs to an op-amp --- inductive pick-up of power line noise, or other environmental phenomena.

1. What is bridge excitation accuracy?

Bridge excitation accuracy refers to the precision with which a bridge is able to provide a known and stable excitation voltage to a strain gage. This voltage is essential for accurately measuring strain and other physical parameters in a variety of scientific and engineering applications.

2. Why is bridge excitation accuracy important?

Bridge excitation accuracy is important because it directly affects the accuracy and reliability of strain measurements. Inaccurate excitation voltage can lead to incorrect strain readings, which can have serious consequences in fields such as structural engineering and materials testing.

3. How is bridge excitation accuracy measured?

Bridge excitation accuracy is typically measured by comparing the output of a strain gage connected to the bridge with a known reference voltage. The difference between the two values is the error in the bridge excitation accuracy. This error is usually expressed as a percentage of the reference voltage.

4. What factors can affect bridge excitation accuracy?

There are several factors that can affect bridge excitation accuracy, including the quality and stability of the power source, the temperature of the strain gage and the bridge, and the calibration of the bridge itself. Any changes in these factors can lead to variations in the excitation voltage and affect the accuracy of the strain measurements.

5. How can bridge excitation accuracy be improved?

Bridge excitation accuracy can be improved by using a high-quality power source, ensuring proper calibration of the bridge, and regularly monitoring and maintaining the temperature of the strain gage and the bridge. It is also important to use strain gages with a high resistance to minimize the effect of lead wire resistance on the excitation voltage.