Bright Fringes (Intro to Quantum Physics Qestion?)

In summary, the student had mixed up the distances L and d in the equation xm=mλL/d. After correcting the values for L and d, the student was able to solve the problem and obtain the correct answer.
megaoka

Homework Statement

The distance between two slits is 0.05mm and the distance to the screen is 2.5m. What is the spacing between the central bright fringe and the first-order fringe? Use yellow light with a wavelength of 580nm

Homework Equations

xm=mλL/d

The Attempt at a Solution

L=0.5mm d=2.5m λ=580nm
xm=(1)(580x10-9)/(.5x10-3) = .00116m
(all the numbers were converted to meters)

Whenever I plug these problems in, I get a strange answer that isn't anywhere near the multiple choice answers. What am I doing wrong?

Multiple choice answer possibilities:
a) 0.01m
b) 0.029m
c) 0.29
d) 0.1m
e) 0.6m
I don't want the answer, I want to know what I did wrong here. If you get the right answer, please help!
Cheers,
~a distressed AP student

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi megoka,

You mixed up L and d. L is the distance to the screen 2.5 m, and d is the space between the slits 0.05 mm.

d=0.5mm L=2.5m λ=580nm
xm=mλL/d

x=(1)(580x10^-9)(2.5)/(0.5x10^-3)=.0029
Okay!

Thanks! I got my answer.

Last edited:

1. What are bright fringes in quantum physics?

Bright fringes are locations of maximum intensity in an interference pattern that occurs when a beam of light passes through a double-slit and interferes with itself. These fringes are characterized by an increase in the amplitude of the light due to constructive interference.

2. How do bright fringes form in quantum physics?

Bright fringes form when two waves of light interfere constructively with each other. In the double-slit experiment, the two waves travel through the two slits and overlap, creating areas of constructive and destructive interference. The bright fringes occur where the peaks of the waves align and amplify each other.

3. What is the significance of bright fringes in quantum physics?

Bright fringes play a crucial role in understanding the wave-like behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. They demonstrate the concept of interference, where the waves of light interact with each other and create patterns. These patterns provide evidence for the wave-particle duality of light and matter.

4. How can we observe bright fringes in quantum physics?

To observe bright fringes, we can use a double-slit experiment setup where a beam of light passes through two closely spaced slits and onto a screen. The resulting pattern of light and dark fringes on the screen is evidence of the interference of light waves. This experiment can also be done with particles such as electrons, demonstrating the wave-like behavior of matter.

5. Are bright fringes only observed in quantum physics?

No, bright fringes can also be observed in classical physics. For example, when two water waves meet, they can produce areas of constructive interference, resulting in bright fringes. However, in quantum physics, the concept of bright fringes is significant as it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter, which is not observed in classical physics.