1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brilliant integral calculation

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just saw this and thought that sometimes people can get a bit too carried away with their mathematical notation. Hope you enjoy!

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9690/weirdintegralcalculatio.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But that's the standard way that "real mathematicians" solve easy problems: show the problem is equivalent to a harder problem that has been solved already. :smile:

4. Nov 22, 2011 #3

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

The notation seems completely fine to me. What is excessive about it? The parenthesis around the 1/12?

5. Nov 22, 2011 #4
    I don't think it's excessive. Certainly, multiplying everything out would make the integration dead simple, but his/her approach was pretty concise and interesting. Sometimes, a little extra complexity makes for a much more interesting argument (e.g. my favourite proof of the infinitude of prime numbers uses topology).

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook