Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brilliant integral calculation

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just saw this and thought that sometimes people can get a bit too carried away with their mathematical notation. Hope you enjoy!

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9690/weirdintegralcalculatio.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But that's the standard way that "real mathematicians" solve easy problems: show the problem is equivalent to a harder problem that has been solved already. :smile:

4. Nov 22, 2011 #3

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

The notation seems completely fine to me. What is excessive about it? The parenthesis around the 1/12?

5. Nov 22, 2011 #4
    I don't think it's excessive. Certainly, multiplying everything out would make the integration dead simple, but his/her approach was pretty concise and interesting. Sometimes, a little extra complexity makes for a much more interesting argument (e.g. my favourite proof of the infinitude of prime numbers uses topology).

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook