Browsing while not logged in Forbidden?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, there was a discussion about the sudden requirement to be logged in to browse the forums, which may prevent new members from joining. It was revealed that this was a tactic to increase membership due to a large number of guests causing bandwidth issues. The decision was later reversed, but the forum still counts guests at the login screen.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Browsing while not logged in...Forbidden??

Greg,

It seems that one must be logged in just to browse the boards. Starting today, when I go to the main page, instead of seeing the Forums I get a prompt to sign in. Is this deliberate? If so, I think it is going to stop new members from joining, if they can't see what they are going to get.

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Tom
Greg,

It seems that one must be logged in just to browse the boards. Starting today, when I go to the main page, instead of seeing the Forums I get a prompt to sign in. Is this deliberate? If so, I think it is going to stop new members from joining, if they can't see what they are going to get.

Testing that theory Tom. It won't be permanent, but I will use it as a tactic. I turned off guest access around 11am and so far we have 23 new members today already, we will definitely break the record of new members in a day if that continues.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I turned off guest access around 11am and so far we have 23 new members today already, we will definitely break the record of new members in a day if that continues.

Well, shut my mouth.

You should probably announce it to the members. Today, Bystander signed up for an account as Sciforums for the sole purpose of sending me PM at that message board to ask me if PF was down LOL.

Originally posted by Tom
Well, shut my mouth.

You should probably announce it to the members. Today, Bystander signed up for an account as Sciforums for the sole purpose of sending me PM at that message board to ask me if PF was down LOL.

Then let this be the announcement :smile:

The reason for this sudden experiement is due to the unexpected but pleasant explosion of guests coming to PF. Not that we don't like guests :smile: but, the pure number is clamping down on our bandwidth. So, I thought maybe if we turned off access some would be curious what's behind the closed door and register, thus becoming an attribute to the forums.

If that's the case how do we have 86 guests currently logged in?

Did you flip the switch back, or am I missing something?

Originally posted by enigma
If that's the case how do we have 86 guests currently logged in?

Did you flip the switch back, or am I missing something?

Yeah I switched back. Also, the forum will still count guests at the login screen.

1. What does it mean to browse while not logged in Forbidden?

Browsing while not logged in Forbidden means attempting to access a website or webpage that requires a user to be logged in, without actually being logged in. This can result in a "Forbidden" error message or being denied access to the content.

2. Why am I unable to browse a website while not logged in Forbidden?

Websites often have certain content or features that are only accessible to registered users. This is done to protect sensitive information or to personalize the browsing experience. If you are not logged in, the website may block your access to these restricted areas.

3. How do I fix the "Forbidden" error message when browsing while not logged in?

The best way to fix this error is to simply log in to the website. If you do not have an account, you can create one. If the website does not allow public registration, you may need to contact the website administrator for assistance.

4. Can I browse while not logged in Forbidden on all websites?

No, not all websites have restricted content or require users to be logged in. It depends on the website's policies and the purpose of the website. Some websites may allow browsing without logging in, while others may require it for security reasons.

5. Is browsing while not logged in Forbidden illegal?

No, it is not illegal. However, it may be a violation of a website's terms of use or policies. It is important to respect a website's guidelines and only access content that is intended for public viewing.