BS in Elec Eng -> PHD Physics?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Stefan is a new member of the forum seeking guidance on his career goals in research and development of large-scale power generation and theoretical physics. He is currently pursuing an Electrical Engineering program at the Oregon Institute of Technology and is inspired by the work of Nicola Tesla. The forum advises him to explore courses and research opportunities aligned with his interests, network with professionals, and continue to learn and grow in his chosen field.
Mohdoo
Hello, everyone. I'm new here, and am looking for some guidance. Reading the forum descriptions, this seemed to be the appropriate place to post.

My career goals are to do research and development of large-scale power generation and or theoretical physics.

My main inspiration comes from Nicola Tesla and his work. Everything involving electricity simply fascinates me to no end. I want to research new ways to harness and store energy on a large scale.

As of right now, I am in an Electrical Engineering program at the Oregon Institute of Technology. Is this the way for me to go?

Stefan

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Stefan,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your career goals with us. It is great to hear that you are interested in research and development of large-scale power generation and theoretical physics. Nicola Tesla's work has definitely been a major inspiration for many scientists and engineers, and it is wonderful to see that his legacy continues to inspire future generations.

In terms of your current path in an Electrical Engineering program at the Oregon Institute of Technology, it is definitely a suitable route for pursuing your career goals. Electrical Engineering is a broad and diverse field that covers many areas, including power generation, energy storage, and theoretical physics. It provides a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles that are essential for conducting research in these areas.

I would recommend exploring different courses and research opportunities within your program that align with your interests. This will not only help you gain a deeper understanding of your chosen field, but also allow you to develop important skills, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, that are crucial for conducting research.

Additionally, I would also encourage you to network with professionals and researchers in your field of interest. This will give you valuable insights into the current trends and challenges in the industry, as well as potential opportunities for collaboration and mentorship.

Overall, your current path in Electrical Engineering is a great starting point for pursuing your career goals in research and development of large-scale power generation and theoretical physics. Keep exploring and learning, and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

, thank you for sharing your career goals and interests with us. It sounds like you have a strong passion for electricity and energy research, and that is a great foundation for pursuing a career in theoretical physics or large-scale power generation.

In terms of your educational path, there are a few different options you could consider. A BS in Electrical Engineering is a great starting point, as it will provide you with a strong foundation in the principles and applications of electricity. However, if your ultimate goal is to do research and development in theoretical physics, you may want to consider pursuing a PhD in Physics. This will give you a deeper understanding of the fundamental theories and principles that govern the behavior of electricity, and will also provide you with the necessary research skills to conduct your own experiments and make new discoveries in the field.

Alternatively, you could also consider a dual degree program that combines both Electrical Engineering and Physics, which would give you a well-rounded education in both areas. Ultimately, the best path for you will depend on your individual interests and career goals. I would recommend exploring different programs and talking to professors and advisors to determine which path aligns best with your interests and aspirations.

Regardless of which path you choose, I would encourage you to continue pursuing your passion for electricity and energy research. With hard work and dedication, I have no doubt that you will make meaningful contributions in this field. Best of luck to you in your academic and professional pursuits.

1. What is the difference between a BS in Electrical Engineering and a PhD in Physics?

A BS in Electrical Engineering focuses on the application of principles and theories in the field of electrical engineering, while a PhD in Physics delves deeper into the fundamental theories and laws of physics and their applications. A PhD in Physics also typically involves conducting original research and writing a dissertation.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in Physics with a BS in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Physics with a BS in Electrical Engineering. However, you may need to take additional courses or bridge programs to ensure that you have the necessary knowledge and skills in physics to successfully complete the program.

3. What career opportunities are available with a BS in Electrical Engineering and a PhD in Physics?

With a BS in Electrical Engineering and a PhD in Physics, you can work in a variety of fields such as research and development, academia, government agencies, and the private sector. You may also have the opportunity to work in interdisciplinary roles that require knowledge in both electrical engineering and physics.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Physics after obtaining a BS in Electrical Engineering?

The duration of a PhD program can vary depending on the specific program and the student's progress. Generally, a PhD in Physics can take 4-6 years to complete after obtaining a BS in Electrical Engineering. This time frame may be shorter for students who have taken relevant coursework during their undergraduate studies.

5. What skills are necessary to succeed in a PhD in Physics program after completing a BS in Electrical Engineering?

To succeed in a PhD in Physics program after completing a BS in Electrical Engineering, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Additionally, research skills, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work independently are also important for success in a PhD program. Good communication and technical writing skills are also essential for presenting and publishing research findings.