Bsc, PhD at one school. Is this bad?

In summary, it is good to change schools, as it will give you a different perspective and you will improve your skills.
Caramon
Hi,
I'm going to be applying to graduate schools for next fall semester and am finishing my last semester in a Bsc (Honours) Astrophysics program at the University of Alberta.

I know a lot of the professors in the department here and have some that I know would be more than willing to be my advisor as I have done undergraduate research with them during my "little-mini-honours-thesis" last semester. Due to this, would it be a good idea to stay at University of Alberta for my PhD? I hardly ever see any faculty members at universities having all of their credentials from the same university... why is this? Why is it bad to have gone to the same university for your entire educational career, doesn't it just show reliability and consistency? I absolutely love my school and I don't see a reason why I would need to change, I know the environment extremely well, have a relationship with the majority of the professors in my department as I am a top student, etc.

Additionally, would I have a better chance at becoming a faculty member at the university if I have gone straight through from Bsc to PhD at that institution. I have seen this as the case at University of Saskatchewan where the professor has all of their credentials from that university.

I currently have a 3.7 GPA and will graduate with a Bsc (Honours) in Astrophysics with a minor in Philosophy.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Many people, including me, think it's good to change schools. The additional perspective is good, as well as the opportunity to learn from different people.

[Professor] Slater asked, 'Why do you think you should go to graduate school at MIT?'

'Because MIT is the best school for science in the country.'

'You think that?'

'Yeah.'

'That's why you should go to some other school. You should find out how the rest of the world is.'

-- Richard Feynman, 'Surely you are joking, Mr Feynman!'

Alright, are there any other reasons than a change in perspective? I know this a fairly considerable reason but would you be able to give me any other reasons?

I have two other options for graduate schools inside Canada, these are University of British Columbia and University of Waterloo. Would it be a good idea to apply to schools that are in the United States? Would be this another "additional perspective" that could help?

I apologize for a flurry of questions, answer the ones that you can. I appreciate any responses!

What really counts later on is the research that you do and the skills that you develop, not the inhomogeneity of your academic pedigree.

What would be worth your while is to INVESTIGATE opportunities at other schools. Talk to potential supervisors about the projects that you might be interested in working on. Talk to other graduate students and see what they think of the department, the professors, the campus, etc. Make your decision based on your assessment the programs and potential projects.

1. Can I complete both a BSc and PhD at the same school?

Yes, it is possible to complete both a BSc and PhD at the same school. Many universities offer undergraduate and graduate programs in a variety of fields, allowing students to seamlessly transition from one degree to the next without having to transfer schools.

2. Will completing both degrees at one school negatively impact my career prospects?

No, completing both a BSc and PhD at one school will not negatively impact your career prospects. What matters most to employers is the quality of education and research experience you have, not the specific institution where you obtained your degrees.

3. Are there any advantages to completing both degrees at one school?

Yes, there can be advantages to completing both degrees at one school. You may have established relationships with faculty and staff, making it easier to secure research opportunities and letters of recommendation. Additionally, you may have access to unique resources and facilities at the university that can enhance your research experience.

4. Are there any disadvantages to completing both degrees at one school?

One potential disadvantage to completing both degrees at one school is that you may have a limited perspective and exposure to different academic environments and methodologies. However, this can be mitigated by seeking out internships, collaborations, and conferences outside of your home institution.

5. Can I transfer to a different school for my PhD after completing my BSc at one school?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to a different school for your PhD after completing your BSc at one school. However, keep in mind that this process may involve additional application requirements and may not always be seamless. It is important to research and carefully consider your options before making a decision to transfer schools.