Bsc, PhD at one school. Is this bad?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Caramon
  • Start date
Hi,
I'm going to be applying to graduate schools for next fall semester and am finishing my last semester in a Bsc (Honours) Astrophysics program at the University of Alberta.

I know a lot of the professors in the department here and have some that I know would be more than willing to be my advisor as I have done undergraduate research with them during my "little-mini-honours-thesis" last semester. Due to this, would it be a good idea to stay at University of Alberta for my PhD? I hardly ever see any faculty members at universities having all of their credentials from the same university... why is this? Why is it bad to have gone to the same university for your entire educational career, doesn't it just show reliability and consistency? I absolutely love my school and I don't see a reason why I would need to change, I know the environment extremely well, have a relationship with the majority of the professors in my department as I am a top student, etc.

Additionally, would I have a better chance at becoming a faculty member at the university if I have gone straight through from Bsc to PhD at that institution. I have seen this as the case at University of Saskatchewan where the professor has all of their credentials from that university.

I currently have a 3.7 GPA and will graduate with a Bsc (Honours) in Astrophysics with a minor in Philosophy.

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Many people, including me, think it's good to change schools. The additional perspective is good, as well as the opportunity to learn from different people.

[Professor] Slater asked, 'Why do you think you should go to graduate school at MIT?'

'Because MIT is the best school for science in the country.'

'You think that?'

'Yeah.'

'That's why you should go to some other school. You should find out how the rest of the world is.'

-- Richard Feynman, 'Surely you are joking, Mr Feynman!'

Alright, are there any other reasons than a change in perspective? I know this a fairly considerable reason but would you be able to give me any other reasons?

I have two other options for graduate schools inside Canada, these are University of British Columbia and University of Waterloo. Would it be a good idea to apply to schools that are in the United States? Would be this another "additional perspective" that could help?

I apologize for a flurry of questions, answer the ones that you can. I appreciate any responses!

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
What really counts later on is the research that you do and the skills that you develop, not the inhomogeneity of your academic pedigree.

What would be worth your while is to INVESTIGATE opportunities at other schools. Talk to potential supervisors about the projects that you might be interested in working on. Talk to other graduate students and see what they think of the department, the professors, the campus, etc. Make your decision based on your assessment the programs and potential projects.