Bubbles in a cup of coffee why does this happen?

In summary: This is why the bubble accelerates towards the tip, even from a distance of 1cm. The same effect can be seen on the surface of the coffee, where bubbles tend to gather around the outer rim of the mug due to the surface tension. So, in summary, the bubbles are attracted to the pencil tip due to surface tension and differences in material and surface energy.
Whiteblooded
So I just sat down at my computer with a cup of coffee before I start doing some work.. I noticed that when I dip the tip of my pencil (it is a mechanical pencil with a plastic end) in the coffee, bubbles are attracted to the tip of it.

Literally, I can put the tip up to 1cm away, and the bubble will accelerate to the tip.

Any ideas why this could be? I'm thinking it's probably due to surface tension, but I can't really remember how surface tension works.. come to think of it, bubbles always gather at the outer rim of the coffee surface - around the sides of the mug. I'm guessing this is the same effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be due to surface tension. When a bubble is created in the liquid (in this case, coffee), the molecules on the surface of the bubble are attracted to each other (surface tension). This causes the bubble to form into a sphere. The bubble also has an attraction to the pencil tip because of the differences in material and surface energy. The plastic tip of the pencil could also be creating a slight suction or pressure, which pulls the bubble towards it.

1. Why do bubbles form in a cup of coffee?

Bubbles form in a cup of coffee due to a process called degassing. When the coffee beans are roasted, they release carbon dioxide gas. This gas gets trapped in the coffee beans and is released when they come into contact with hot water. As the coffee cools down, the surface tension of the liquid decreases, causing the trapped carbon dioxide to rise to the surface and form bubbles.

2. Do bubbles affect the taste of coffee?

Yes, bubbles can affect the taste of coffee. When carbon dioxide is released from the coffee beans and forms bubbles, it can also carry some of the coffee's flavor compounds to the surface. This can result in a slightly different taste compared to coffee without bubbles.

3. Why do some cups of coffee have more bubbles than others?

The amount of bubbles in a cup of coffee can vary depending on a few factors. These include the type of coffee beans used, the brewing method, and the temperature at which the coffee is served. Different coffee beans produce different amounts of carbon dioxide, and certain brewing methods, such as espresso, can result in more bubbles due to the pressure used. A hotter cup of coffee will also have more bubbles compared to a cooler one.

4. Can bubbles in coffee be a sign of freshness?

Yes, bubbles in coffee can sometimes indicate that the coffee is fresh. As mentioned before, the release of carbon dioxide gas is a natural part of the coffee roasting process. If a coffee has a lot of bubbles, it may suggest that it was recently roasted, as the beans still have a high concentration of carbon dioxide.

5. How can I reduce the amount of bubbles in my coffee?

If you prefer your coffee without bubbles, there are a few things you can do to reduce their amount. Firstly, try using a coarser grind of coffee beans. This will result in less carbon dioxide being released during brewing. Additionally, you can let your coffee sit for a few minutes after brewing to allow the bubbles to dissipate before drinking. Lastly, using a brewing method that does not involve high pressure, such as pour-over or French press, can also result in fewer bubbles.