Predicting Buckling Load for Thin-Walled Structures Using ANSYS/Nastran

In summary, the conversation was about finding the critical buckling load for a short column with a wide cross section. The equations used were Euler Buckling and Johnson's Formula. The critical buckling load was found to be 57119986 N using Johnson's formula, but there were concerns about the accuracy of the method due to the structure being thin-walled. It was suggested to use ANSYS/Nastran for a more accurate buckling model and to apply a safety factor.
n707jt

Homework Statement

Finding the critical buckling load of a really short column with wide cross section (is it still considered a column?)

E = 22 GPa
Yield: 300 MPa
Load: 28N
thickness: 0.226 mm
I = 670706.51 mm^4 (is this right?)
Load Applied Area (as indicated by white arrows): 190400 mm²

Presentation1-2.jpg

I understand from http://www.engineersedge.com/column_buckling/column_ideal.htm that I should be applying Johnson's Formula.

Homework Equations

Euler Buckling :

[URL]http://172.31.254.243/www.engineersedge.com/column_buckling/image/column1.gif[/URL]

Johnson's Formula

[URL]http://172.31.254.244/www.engineersedge.com/column_buckling/image/johnson.gif[/URL]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Johnson's formula, I've found out the Critical Buckling Load (Pcr) is 57119986 N

I know this is a really short structure with a wide cross sectional area so naturally the Pcr will be bigger but could someone please verify my method?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that will work. Typical buckling problems assume a deflected shape, which you won't get.

The issue is not that it is short, but that it is thin-walled. Roark gives an idea for thin-cylindrical tubes, but not thin-rectangular tubes. I will quote his paragraph, 12.3 Columns and other Compressions Members
For a thin cylindrical tube, the theoretical formula for the critical stress at which buckling occurs is
[tex]
\sigma' = \frac{E}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-\nu^2}}\frac{t}{R}
[/tex]
when R denotes the mean radius of the tube. Tests indicate that the critical stress actually developed is usually only 40-60% of this theoretical value.

Much recent work has been concerned with measuring initial imperfections in manufactured cylindrical tubes and correlating these imperfections with measured critical loads.

My best guess would be to perhaps run a really good buckling model in ANSYS/Nastran and give it a good safety factor.

1. What is buckling of a short structure?

Buckling of a short structure refers to the sudden failure or collapse of a structure due to excessive compressive stress, causing the structure to lose its stability and deform in a sideways or out-of-plane direction.

2. What are the causes of buckling in short structures?

The main cause of buckling in short structures is the application of compressive loads that exceed the critical buckling load, also known as the Euler buckling load. Other factors that can contribute to buckling include structural imperfections, material properties, and geometric constraints.

3. How can buckling be prevented in short structures?

Buckling in short structures can be prevented by designing the structure with adequate stiffness and strength to resist compressive loads. This can be achieved through appropriate material selection, cross-sectional shape, and reinforcement. Other methods such as bracing, stiffening, and increasing the support points can also help prevent buckling.

4. What are some common examples of buckling in short structures?

Some common examples of buckling in short structures include columns, beams, and struts in buildings, bridges, and other structures. It can also occur in mechanical and aerospace components such as cylinders, rods, and plates.

5. How is buckling analyzed in short structures?

Buckling analysis in short structures involves determining the critical buckling load, which is the load at which the structure loses its stability. This can be done through theoretical calculations, numerical simulations, and experimental testing. The design of the structure is then adjusted to ensure that the applied load does not exceed the critical buckling load.