Build Green's function of an integro-differential operator

In summary, the conversation discussed a differential equation involving a given parameter and an integral, and the attempt to solve it using variation of parameters. However, this approach failed and the conversation then shifted to finding the Green's function associated with this equation and its boundary conditions. The integral in the differential equation was found to evaluate to a constant, making it difficult to solve using the Green's function technique. The link provided by one of the participants offers an explanation on how to build Green's functions, but the standard variation of parameters approach fails in this case. The attached image shows the equation and defines additional variables for reference.
member 428835

Homework Statement

For a given ##a##, define $$B[u(x)] = u''(s) + \cos^2(a) u(s) - \frac{1}{2s_0}\int_{-s_0}^{s_0}(u''(s) + \cos^2(a) u(s) )\, ds,\\
s_0 = \frac{1}{\cos(a)}\arcsin(\cos a)$$

subject to boundary conditions

$$u'(s_0) + \cot (a) \cos (a) u(s_0) = 0\\
-u'(-s_0) + \cot (a) \cos (a) u(-s_0) = 0.$$

What is the Green's function associated with ##B[u(s)] = f## and it's boundary conditions?

Homework Equations

Nothing comes to mind.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted variation of parameters without considering the integral portion (which must be considered), but that technique failed: the two solutions I got from solving the ODE at ##-s_0## and ##+s_0## were linearly dependent, so their Wronskian was zero, and thus variation of parameters failed.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know how to find Green's functions from this equation form? Anything helps (this is not HW, I just posted here since it seemed appropriate). I know there's a method for solving this problem, because I know the solution, which has a weird form.

Happy to share with anyone who is interested and can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The integral in your differential equation (differential operator) evaluates to a constant. This is not the form of a differential operator which can be solved by the Green's function technique. Are you sure you wrote the equation correctly? It could work if the integral was multiplied by u or u'. Also, your integral appears to be incorrect. If it is written instead: $$I=\frac {u(s)}{2s_0} \int_{-s_0}^{s_0}\left (u''(s)+\cos ^2 (a)u'(s) \right ) ds
\\ u"(s)ds = du'(s)
\\ u'(s)ds = du(s)
\\I= \left. \frac {u(s)}{2s_0} \left (u'(s) \right |_{-s_0}^{s_0} + \left. \cos ^2 (a) u(s) \right |_{-s_0}^{s_0} \right )$$
$$=\frac {u(s)}{2s_0} \left ( u'(s_0) - u'(-s_0) + \cos ^2(a) (u(s_0) - u(-s_0)) \right )$$
I multiplied the integral by ##u(s)## (harmonic component) but ##u'(s)## (real exponential component) would also work. Please see http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/dbs26/1BMethods/GreensODE.pdf for an explanation on how to build Green's functions.

Last edited:
Fred Wright said:
The integral in your differential equation (differential operator) evaluates to a constant. This is not the form of a differential operator which can be solved by the Green's function technique. Are you sure you wrote the equation correctly?
It is of the form because I have the Green's function, I just don't know how to get there. I wrote the equation correctly, sadly. I've copy-pasted it for your consideration.

Fred Wright said:
Please see http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/dbs26/1BMethods/GreensODE.pdf for an explanation on how to build Green's functions.
Yea I know how to build Green's functions, but in this case the standard variation of parameters approach fails, and fails big time.

I appreciate your interest, but do you (or anyone else) know how to find the Green's function for the problem posted? For completeness, it is attached. It should also be noted that ##c## is defined as ##\cos(a)##. Also, ##v_1## and ##v_2## are solutions to $$v'' + \cos^2 (a) v = 0\\ v_1(0) = 0,\,\, v_1'(0) = 1\\ v_2(0) = 1,\,\, v_2'(0) = 0$$
Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 1.32.33 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 1.32.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 1.32.33 PM.png
    15 KB · Views: 284

1. What is the purpose of building a Green's function for an integro-differential operator?

The Green's function of an integro-differential operator is a fundamental solution that can be used to solve a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It allows us to find a particular solution to a non-homogeneous integro-differential equation by considering the properties of the operator and its associated Green's function.

2. How is the Green's function of an integro-differential operator related to the operator itself?

The Green's function is intimately connected to the integro-differential operator. In fact, it is defined as the inverse of the operator, such that when the Green's function is convolved with the input function, it produces the desired output function as a solution to the original equation.

3. Can the Green's function of an integro-differential operator be used for any type of equation?

No, the Green's function method is specifically designed for solving linear, non-homogeneous integro-differential equations. It may not be applicable for equations that are non-linear or have other types of boundary conditions.

4. How is the Green's function of an integro-differential operator calculated?

The process of calculating the Green's function involves solving a special integral equation, known as the Fredholm integral equation of the second kind. This can be done analytically for some simple operators, but for more complex operators, numerical methods may be required.

5. What are some applications of the Green's function of an integro-differential operator?

The Green's function method has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to solve problems related to heat transfer, diffusion, wave propagation, and many other phenomena. It is also commonly used in the study of partial differential equations and in the development of numerical methods for solving them.