Build Self-Propelled Car to Go 1m Horizontally

• Thread starter Auxitras
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Self
In summary, the conversation is about building a self-propelled car for an engineering challenge. The car needs to go up a ramp and travel 1.0 meter horizontally in the air. There are constraints such as the entire propulsion mechanism being on the car, not using electricity, explosions, or chemical reactions, and the car weighing between 0.1 kg to 2.0 kg. The ramp can only be a maximum of 1.0 meter in length. The conversation also mentions using a chassis made out of K'nex and a balloon as an elastic for the axle, but it doesn't create enough force to move the car. One suggestion is to use a toy car with a circular spring mechanism for ideas on how to store
Auxitras

Homework Statement

hi! first off, thanks for viewing this. I wasn't sure if this would be the right place to post for help, but it's for an engineering challenge so I didn't know where else to go. Also, I'm really sorry if this is a repeat thread, I don't really have time to read through them, and am actually going to be doing some trials on what i already have while I wait for responses.

Basically, I have to build a self propelled car that can go up a ramp (which I need to build as well) and travel 1.0 meters horizontally in the air. The height the car gets isn't measured.

Coinstraints:

-The entire propultion mechanism must be on the car. So I can't use my slingshot-on-a-ramp idea D:

-The method of propultion cannot use electricity, explosions, or chemical reactions. I can't afford to buy a bunch of CO2 to use in testing, so I suppose that's out as well. :S

-The car must weigh between 0.1 kg to 2.0 kg.

-The car can be bought but the method of propulsion and ramp must both be made from parts I assemble.

-The ramp can only be a max. of 1.0 meters in length, but there are no height restrictions.

Homework Equations

I don't even know... :P

The Attempt at a Solution

At the moment I have a chassis made out of K'nex and am using a balloon as an elastic to turn the axle after winding it up the other way. The wheels are the biggest I can use without using massive gears and have rubber bands on the outside for traction. I was also playing around with a balloon for air pressure, but it doesn't really create enough force to move the car at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Auxitras said:

Homework Statement

hi! first off, thanks for viewing this. I wasn't sure if this would be the right place to post for help, but it's for an engineering challenge so I didn't know where else to go. Also, I'm really sorry if this is a repeat thread, I don't really have time to read through them, and am actually going to be doing some trials on what i already have while I wait for responses.

Basically, I have to build a self propelled car that can go up a ramp (which I need to build as well) and travel 1.0 meters horizontally in the air. The height the car gets isn't measured.

Coinstraints:

-The entire propultion mechanism must be on the car. So I can't use my slingshot-on-a-ramp idea D:

-The method of propultion cannot use electricity, explosions, or chemical reactions. I can't afford to buy a bunch of CO2 to use in testing, so I suppose that's out as well. :S

-The car must weigh between 0.1 kg to 2.0 kg.

-The car can be bought but the method of propulsion and ramp must both be made from parts I assemble.

-The ramp can only be a max. of 1.0 meters in length, but there are no height restrictions.

Homework Equations

I don't even know... :P

The Attempt at a Solution

At the moment I have a chassis made out of K'nex and am using a balloon as an elastic to turn the axle after winding it up the other way. The wheels are the biggest I can use without using massive gears and have rubber bands on the outside for traction. I was also playing around with a balloon for air pressure, but it doesn't really create enough force to move the car at all.

Welcome to the PF.

Have you seen those little toy cars where you put them on the ground and roll them back a bit (maybe 25cm?) and when you let them go, the stored energy makes them bo pretty fast? I don't know the name of the toys, but they are pretty common. You might get one of those and take it apart for ideas on how to store up the energy. The car must use some sort of circular spring mechanism or something. It's so small and light, that it gets going pretty fast, and I'm fairly sure it would clear a horizontal meter with even a small ramp.

At least it might give you some ideas. I'm guessing that a small, light car with a strong spring mechanism to drive the wheels will work out well. The spring obviously needs to release the wheels when the spring energy has been delivered.

1. How does a self-propelled car work?

A self-propelled car uses stored energy, such as in a spring or rubber band, to generate movement and propel itself forward. This energy is then converted into kinetic energy, which powers the wheels and moves the car forward.

2. What materials are needed to build a self-propelled car?

The main materials needed to build a self-propelled car include a lightweight body, wheels, axles, a motor or propulsion system, and a way to store and release energy. Other materials such as gears, pulleys, and rubber bands may also be used depending on the design of the car.

3. Can I build a self-propelled car without any prior knowledge or experience?

While prior knowledge and experience in mechanics and engineering can be helpful, it is not necessary to build a self-propelled car. There are many resources available, such as online tutorials and kits, that can guide you through the process and make it accessible for beginners.

4. How far can a self-propelled car go on a single charge?

The distance a self-propelled car can travel on a single charge depends on several factors, such as the type of propulsion system, the amount of stored energy, and the weight and design of the car. On average, a self-propelled car can travel up to 1 meter horizontally on a single charge.

5. What are the benefits of building a self-propelled car?

Building a self-propelled car is a fun and engaging way to learn about physics and engineering principles. It also encourages creativity and problem-solving skills. Additionally, self-propelled cars can be used for educational purposes, such as in science fairs or competitions, and can inspire interest in STEM fields.