How can car window motors be used to create an actuated valve?

In summary: They are just switches that act as a cutoff point, telling the motor when to stop. A good option would be a momentary pushbutton switch, as these can be mounted easily on brackets or the valve body itself to provide the desired results.
bal_jop
I was looking at 2 inch actuated valves. In the Indian market they cost around 12,000 rupees(~$220). I have a couple of car window control motors. I was thinking of building a valve with it.

I would appreciate your thoughts on some simple design.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Valves for what substance? Water... methanol... liquid nitrogen... some type of gas...? The substance will largely determine what sort of seals are required.
If it's just a simple liquid, either a rotary ball or cylinder, or a wedge-type gate, would be fine.

The valve is for agricultural irrigation purpose.

In that case, you don't need tremendous precision or chemical-resistant material.
I might, however, have misunderstood the question. I took it to mean that you want to build the whole thing from scratch, but is it that you just want to attach a motor to a store-bought manual valve?

yeha, I want to power a PVC plastic gate valve with the 12 v motor, but I need to know when to stop powering the motor, i.e. when the valve is fully open or fully closed.

Ahh... no problem. Just toss in a couple of limit switches. What kind to use depends upon how the motor is connected to the valve.

I want the valve to be either fully open or fully closed no intermittent states...

Understood. What I actually meant, though, is how the motor is attached. Are you wanting to use a lead-screw (screwjack), a gear train, chain and sprockets, or etc.? Any kind of switch can be used as a limit switch, but the physical set-up determines which ones are most practical. As a general rule, you can't go wrong with momentary buttons or mini-levers.

hmmm... I am not sure, I am thinking of attaching the turn lever with the shaft of the motor directly. I am a novice when it comes to engineering... but I am going to give it a try... What do you suggest would be a good limit switch?

Your mention of a lever rather than a wheel indicates that there's probably less than a 360° throw between open and closed. If that's the case, you can just mount SPST/NC momentary pushbutton switches on brackets attached to the valve body or support structure in positions which will cause them to be pushed to "off" by the lever itself at the end of its travel in either direction. You'll probably want weatherproof units.

Don't forget to consider limit switches.

Travis_King said:
Don't forget to consider limit switches.

Do you mean the things that we've been discussing since post #6?

heh, specifically post #10. Yea, I didn't read it all...I just saw "building an actuated valve" and read the first few posts. whoops!

:biggrin:
No sweat; I do that all the time.

okay after a long time...
I would like to know what is the best limit switch I could use?

BalJop:

The limit switches you need for this application are very simple; you might even find them in your local hardware store.

1. What is a actuated valve?

An actuated valve is a type of valve that is powered by an external source, such as electricity, air, or hydraulic fluid. It uses this power to open and close the valve, allowing or blocking the flow of a fluid or gas.

2. What are the benefits of using an actuated valve?

Actuated valves offer a number of benefits, including precision control of fluid flow, quick response times, and the ability to be remotely operated. They also eliminate the need for manual operation, reducing labor costs and increasing safety.

3. What are the different types of actuated valves?

There are several types of actuated valves, including ball valves, butterfly valves, globe valves, and gate valves. The type of valve used will depend on the specific application and the requirements for flow control.

4. How do you choose the right actuated valve for a specific application?

Choosing the right actuated valve involves considering factors such as the type of fluid or gas being controlled, the required flow rate, and the environmental conditions. It is important to consult with a valve expert to ensure the correct valve is selected for the specific application.

5. How do you properly maintain an actuated valve?

Proper maintenance of an actuated valve involves regularly checking for wear and tear, cleaning and lubricating moving parts, and replacing any faulty components. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and to schedule routine inspections by a professional.