1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a Voltmeter, need IC datasheet help

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1
    I am building an autoranging digital voltmeter as the subject line suggests and am having a problem with the ICL7107 chip that I am using. Looking at figure 15 on: http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn3082.pdf
    specifically RefHI and RefLO, with a 2V max input difference between the pos and neg inputs. I do not necessarily have the negative input at 0 volts, and therefore would like assistance on how to use the Vref inputs. Do I need to set Vref=1V greater than the low input, or should it be 1V with repect to ground? Also why does the figure show a potentiometer rather than simply using resistors? Also should I just short the COM pin to my low input? I am unsure of how it actually functions after reading the cryptic explanation on the data sheet. Thank you for your assistance.
    Kevin Hurley

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?