Bullet acceleration into moist clay

In summary, the problem was to determine the acceleration of a bullet as it embeds into a lump of moist clay, given its initial velocity of 367 m/s and penetration distance of 0.0621m. The correct answer can be obtained using the equation Vf2 = Vi2 + 2ad, but an incorrect approach using average velocity was attempted first. The mistake was using average velocity instead of initial velocity, leading to an incorrect answer of -5017.3 m/s2. Once the mistake was corrected, the correct answer of -1.08*10-6 m/s2 was obtained.
thehitchcocks
The problem:
A bullet is moving at a speed of 367 m/s when it embeds into a lump of moist clay. The bullet penetrates for a distance of 0.0621m. Determine the acceleration of the bullet while moving into the clay.

I can get the correct answer by using Vf2 = Vi2 + 2ad (result: -1.08*10-6 m/s2).

However, I'm trying to understand why an approach using the average velocity doesn't work (that's what I tried first). Can you help me understand what's wrong with the following approach? :

Vavg = (Vi + Vf)/2 = 183.5 m/s

t = d/v
t = 0.0621m / (183.5 m/s) = 0.00034s

d = Vit + 1/2at2
0.0621m = 183.5 m/s * 0.00034s + 1/2a(0.00034s)2
a = -5017.3 m/s2

(you can double-check my math, but I don't believe that's the issue).

So, my specific question: this approach clearly doesn't yield the correct answer - there's something wrong with my thinking here. What specifically is wrong with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your math was wrong.
thehitchcocks said:
The problem:
A bullet is moving at a speed of 367 m/s when it embeds into a lump of moist clay. The bullet penetrates for a distance of 0.0621m. Determine the acceleration of the bullet while moving into the clay.

I can get the correct answer by using Vf2 = Vi2 + 2ad (result: -1.08*10-6 m/s2).

However, I'm trying to understand why an approach using the average velocity doesn't work (that's what I tried first). Can you help me understand what's wrong with the following approach? :

Vavg = (Vi + Vf)/2 = 183.5 m/s

t = d/v
t = 0.0621m / (183.5 m/s) = 0.00034s

d = Vit + 1/2at2

a = -5017.3 m/s2

(you can double-check my math, but I don't believe that's the issue).

So, my specific question: this approach clearly doesn't yield the correct answer - there's something wrong with my thinking here. What specifically is wrong with it?

You use Vavg where you should use Vi.
Also, you have a negative exponent on what you call the correct answer.

You plugged in average velocity instead of initial velocity.

If you don't mind my saying, I don't see any maths in your post: just lots of numbers. Part of the reason you made this mistake is that one number looks very like another and as soon as you plug in the numbers, you lose sight of the maths and physics.

thehitchcocks said:
Hi thehitchcocks:

The term 183.5 m/s is not Vi. It is 1/2 Vi.

Regards,
Buzz

Thanks for all the replies! Super helpful. We understand now - we got ourselves wrapped up mistakenly in average velocity, when all we needed was initial velocity. Using initial velocity yields the correct answer.

@RUber: Yes, the negative exponent was a typo - sorry about that, our first post ever here, and I didn't catch the error amidst all the markup :( Thanks also for coming back and updating your original response, re: the relationship between our answer and the correct answer.

1. How does moisture in clay affect bullet acceleration?

Moisture in clay can significantly impact bullet acceleration. When a bullet enters moist clay, the water molecules present in the clay form a lubricating layer on the surface of the bullet, reducing friction and allowing the bullet to travel faster and deeper into the clay.

2. Does the speed of the bullet affect its acceleration into moist clay?

Yes, the speed of the bullet does affect its acceleration into moist clay. A faster bullet will typically have a higher acceleration due to the increased amount of kinetic energy it possesses.

3. What role does the shape of the bullet play in its acceleration into moist clay?

The shape of the bullet can have a significant impact on its acceleration into moist clay. A pointed bullet will experience less resistance and therefore have a higher acceleration compared to a round or flat-nosed bullet.

4. Can the density of the clay affect the bullet's acceleration?

Yes, the density of the clay can affect the bullet's acceleration. A denser clay will provide more resistance and slow down the bullet's acceleration, while a less dense clay will allow for a faster acceleration.

5. Is there a limit to how deep a bullet can penetrate into moist clay?

Yes, there is a limit to how deep a bullet can penetrate into moist clay. This limit is determined by various factors such as the speed and shape of the bullet, density of the clay, and the amount of moisture present. Generally, the faster and more pointed the bullet, the deeper it will be able to penetrate into moist clay.