Bullet Shattering Material (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Does anyone know how this works? I hypothesize that the reason that the bullet shatters is that boron carbide is much harder than the copper of the bullet. Does anyone think that this may be made into a conventional armor design as some people are saying or is boron carbide too expensive for use in this application?
The cost of the components could be utterly trivial compared to the cost of the fabrication of the composite. I have no idea if that's the case but my point is that you are not looking at the big picture.

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Boron carbide body armor has been around for decades. Carborundum made it in their Niagara Falls plant when i visited there in the 1960's.
Back then they blew it into fiber with a steam jet then made it into cloth using secondhand textile manufacturing equipment.

The foam is new to me but it seems a logical progression.

See what these folks have to say ?
http://technical-ceramics.3mdeutschland.de/en/products/3m-ballistic-ceramics.html

Last edited:

CWatters

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think you can laminate up Boron fibre much the same as Carbon, Aramid or glass fibre.

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Boron fibre
You can certainly do this with boron nitride. Boron carbide seems less likely, but you could probably impregnate carbon fiber with boron carbide (whether that would get you the result you want is a different story).

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving