Is Boron Carbide the Key to Shattering Bullets in Armor Design?

In summary, Boron carbide is much harder than the copper of a bullet, and may not be suitable for use in conventional armor designs because it fractures upon contact with subsequent bullets.
chemisthypnos
Does anyone know how this works? I hypothesize that the reason that the bullet shatters is that boron carbide is much harder than the copper of the bullet. Does anyone think that this may be made into a conventional armor design as some people are saying or is boron carbide too expensive for use in this application?

Link: http://www.slate.com/articles/video...rmor_can_shatter_bullet_on_contact_video.html

Engineering news on Phys.org
chemisthypnos said:
Does anyone know how this works? I hypothesize that the reason that the bullet shatters is that boron carbide is much harder than the copper of the bullet. Does anyone think that this may be made into a conventional armor design as some people are saying or is boron carbide too expensive for use in this application?
The cost of the components could be utterly trivial compared to the cost of the fabrication of the composite. I have no idea if that's the case but my point is that you are not looking at the big picture.

Boron carbide body armor has been around for decades. Carborundum made it in their Niagara Falls plant when i visited there in the 1960's.
Back then they blew it into fiber with a steam jet then made it into cloth using secondhand textile manufacturing equipment.

The foam is new to me but it seems a logical progression.

See what these folks have to say ?
http://technical-ceramics.3mdeutschland.de/en/products/3m-ballistic-ceramics.html

Last edited:
Fascinating. I think that I may have found why it may not be used in a number of applications. It seems to be good for only the first hit, but subsequent hits will cause the material to fracture. https://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.cfm?article=3166

Likes Tom.G
I think you can laminate up Boron fibre much the same as Carbon, Aramid or glass fibre.

CWatters said:
Boron fibre
You can certainly do this with boron nitride. Boron carbide seems less likely, but you could probably impregnate carbon fiber with boron carbide (whether that would get you the result you want is a different story).

What is bullet shattering material?

Bullet shattering material is a type of material that is specifically designed to break apart or shatter upon impact from a bullet, reducing its velocity and kinetic energy.

How does bullet shattering material work?

Bullet shattering material works by utilizing a combination of strength and brittleness. When a bullet hits the material, it causes it to shatter into smaller pieces, dispersing the energy of the bullet and reducing its velocity.

What are the benefits of using bullet shattering material?

Using bullet shattering material can provide a number of benefits, such as reducing the risk of ricochets, decreasing the risk of damage to surrounding objects or people, and increasing the safety of shooting ranges.

What types of materials can be used as bullet shattering material?

There are a variety of materials that can be used as bullet shattering material, including rubber, plastic, and specially designed metal alloys. The choice of material depends on factors such as the intended use and the type of bullet being tested.

How is bullet shattering material tested and evaluated?

Bullet shattering material is typically tested by firing bullets at it and measuring the velocity and kinetic energy of the bullet before and after impact. It is also evaluated for its durability, ability to withstand repeated impacts, and overall effectiveness in reducing bullet velocity.

Back