Buoyancy - block of concrete is being raised from a lake
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
68 replies · 8K views
Physics news on Phys.org
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
So force out of the water assuming uniform lifting
F= mg
F= mg
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
Or rather
F(2)= mg
F(2)= mg
Homework Helper
- 4,474
- 923
I have no idea what are you trying to do. And you notations do not help.
You had this equation
F + ρgV = mg
Let call this F' to avoid confusion. This is the pulling force when the block is in the air.
So the equilibrium of forces is expressed as
F'+Fb=W
where Fb is buoyant force and W is the weight.
Indeed we can write W=mg and Fb=ρgV.
Now solve this equation for F'.
Find F'=...
where ... is an expression, not a number.
You had this equation
F + ρgV = mg
Let call this F' to avoid confusion. This is the pulling force when the block is in the air.
So the equilibrium of forces is expressed as
F'+Fb=W
where Fb is buoyant force and W is the weight.
Indeed we can write W=mg and Fb=ρgV.
Now solve this equation for F'.
Find F'=...
where ... is an expression, not a number.
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
Isn't
F' + ρgV = mg
The force whilst in water? Otherwise why do we have the buoyancy force:(?
F' + ρgV = mg
The force whilst in water? Otherwise why do we have the buoyancy force:(?
Homework Helper
- 4,474
- 923
KiNGGeexD said:Isn't
F' + ρgV = mg
The force whilst in water? Otherwise why do we have the buoyancy force:(?
F' is that force. What you wrote above is an equation , a relationship between 3 forces, not the expression of a force.
So what will be F'? have you ever solve a linear equation? Do you understand what does it mean to solle the above equation to find F'?
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
Ok, I have my force in air
F-G=0
F= G where G= mg = ρgV
I'm assuming the density here would be that of concrete!
Then my second equation (in water)
F' + ρgV = mg
F'= mg- ρgV
Where i say density is that of water as buoyancy force is the weight of water displaced? So now I have my two pulling forces...
F-G=0
F= G where G= mg = ρgV
I'm assuming the density here would be that of concrete!
Then my second equation (in water)
F' + ρgV = mg
F'= mg- ρgV
Where i say density is that of water as buoyancy force is the weight of water displaced? So now I have my two pulling forces...
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
So i would have 2mg = ρgV
Homework Helper
- 4,474
- 923
You forgot that the density of concrete is φ and not ρ.KiNGGeexD said:Ok, I have my force in air
F-G=0
F= G where G= mg = ρgV
I'm assuming the density here would be that of concrete!
Then my second equation (in water)
F' + ρgV = mg
F'= mg- ρgV
Where i say density is that of water as buoyancy force is the weight of water displaced? So now I have my two pulling forces...
And F is not equal to F' obviously.
after you put the right densities in the expressions, you have to calculate the ratio
F'/F.
Good luck.
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
The ratio would surely just be the ratio of the two densities as the other terms are all constant?
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
Ah but there would be a mass term on the denominator
ΦgV / ρgV -mG
ΦgV / ρgV -mG
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
From the I can obtain
Φ / ρ- mg
And I have all of these variables at my disposal So the ratio of the forces would be the same as the ratio of the weights?
Φ / ρ- mg
And I have all of these variables at my disposal So the ratio of the forces would be the same as the ratio of the weights?
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
This would yield
20/47 so roughly 42% or 0.42 of the weight must be in airW= mg so 50*9.8. = 490
So weight that must be in air 205.8 N
I know it doesn't ask for this latter part?
20/47 so roughly 42% or 0.42 of the weight must be in airW= mg so 50*9.8. = 490
So weight that must be in air 205.8 N
I know it doesn't ask for this latter part?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 9,253
- 1,080
KiNGGeexD said:Ah but there would be a mass term on the denominator
ΦgV / ρgV -mG
Should there be parentheses in this expression?
Can you explain in words what this expression is.
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
It is the ratio between the force in the air and the force when in the water.
Where φ and ρ are both densities but given different symbols to avoid confusion and because I can't subscript on my phone :)
Where φ and ρ are both densities but given different symbols to avoid confusion and because I can't subscript on my phone :)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 9,253
- 1,080
There were two questions in my last post. http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.gifKiNGGeexD said:It is the ratio between the force in the air and the force when in the water.
Where φ and ρ are both densities but given different symbols to avoid confusion and because I can't subscript on my phone :)
Last edited by a moderator:
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
No there shouldn't be parenthesis
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
Or was it rhetorical?
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
Thanks for you help
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
I didn't realize I had the two mixed up, so the expression flips for it to be F'/F
I got confused as to which one I used for which, I'm assuming F' is the force when it's in water
I got confused as to which one I used for which, I'm assuming F' is the force when it's in water
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
Is #44 not correct then?
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
(ΦgV)/ (ρgV -mg)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 9,253
- 1,080
KiNGGeexD said:(ΦgV)/ (ρgV -mg)
Substitute for the data values in this expression, and see whether the answer looks right to you.
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
That's what I done in #44, my answer was 0.42
Or as a fraction
20/47
Or as a fraction
20/47
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 9,253
- 1,080
You won't get the same answer. Try it.KiNGGeexD said:That's what I done in #44, my answer was 0.42
Or as a fraction
20/47
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
Ok I mixed up the φ and ρ values
If I then put φ in as the density if concrete my answer is
48/19 which is 2.52
If I then put φ in as the density if concrete my answer is
48/19 which is 2.52
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1
Ok I had another look at the problemF1= gV(φ -ρ) the force to raise it to the surface?
And F2= gVφ
The force or raise it in air?
And F2= gVφ
The force or raise it in air?
KiNGGeexD
- 317
- 1