Buoyancy Force and Pressure: A Thought Experiment

• Thread starter Darth Frodo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of buoyancy and how it relates to an object, specifically a cork, submerged in a liquid. The question is raised whether there is a point in the liquid where the cork can remain stationary due to the balance of buoyant force and external forces. The conversation also considers the effects of depth and uniformity of the liquid on the buoyant force. Ultimately, the individual is left with a better understanding of the problem due to the conversation.
Darth Frodo
I may be completely out of whack here but this kept me up last night...

Suppose a cork from a wine bottle is taken down to a depth of X metres. Since cork is less dense than water it will obviously float to the surface. I was thinking about manipulating the formulae.

Buoyancy force = Vρg

Pressure = Force/Area [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] Force = ρghA

Is there a point in the liquid where ρghA = Vρg and the cork remains stationary.

hA = V

My physics teacher said I am completely off track (I'm beginning to agree with her because it's extremely non intuitive) but never gave me a real reason as to why...

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For an object to remain stationary, an external force antiparallel to the Bouyant force and equal in magnitude would be required. However, the Bouyant force increases with depth, and therefore, delving deeper below the surface only increases the external force required to remain stationary.

How does the buoyancy force increase with depth?

There are two factors I can think of: temperature as one descends deeper, and the density of the water.

What if we assume the liquid is uniform?

Then the Bouyant force will remain constant. However, you indicated that the object floats; thus, if it floats at point A due to the Bouyant force, it does so at point B as well since Bouyant force will remain constant.

But is there not a greater force pressing down on the cork as it's depth increases

Wait, the pressure increases with depth, therefore so does the force, and it acts in all directions... thanks you really made me think about the problem

Related to Buoyancy Force and Pressure: A Thought Experiment

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the force that causes objects to float in a liquid, such as water. It is a result of the pressure differences between the top and bottom of an object, with the higher pressure at the bottom pushing upward and the lower pressure at the top pushing downward.

2. How does buoyancy work?

Buoyancy works by displacing a certain amount of liquid equal to the weight of the object. This creates an upward force, known as the buoyant force, that is equal to the weight of the displaced liquid. If the buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object, it will float; if it is less, the object will sink.

3. What factors affect buoyancy?

The three main factors that affect buoyancy are the density of the liquid, the volume of the object, and the gravitational force acting on the object. The more dense the liquid, the more buoyant force it can provide. Similarly, the larger the volume of the object, the more liquid it can displace and the greater the buoyant force. Gravity also plays a role, as it determines the weight of the object.

4. Can an object sink and float at the same time?

No, an object cannot sink and float at the same time. It will either float if the buoyant force is greater than its weight, or sink if the buoyant force is less than its weight. However, an object can appear to be floating at a certain level in a liquid due to the balance between its weight and the buoyant force.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy in two ways. First, the shape can determine the volume of the object and therefore the amount of liquid it can displace. Secondly, the shape can also impact the distribution of weight on the object, which can affect the pressure differences and ultimately the buoyant force. For example, a flat object may have less buoyant force than a round object of the same volume due to its weight being more evenly distributed.