Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Burst Sleep mode

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I am correcting a Embedded C code which requires Burst sleep mode. This sleep period is purely depend on the user input cool time and this is really to coll the machine. I thought of using Sleep function for this user input time but is it able to respond to other interrupts in this period? or any other idea to make it would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If this is embedded code, then the sleep function and interrupt handling are part of the operating system used for the embedded code. Hopefully there is sufficient documentation for the operating system to determine how it handles this situation.

It is common for embedded multi-tasking operating systems to allow a task to pend (wait) for an event that can be set by another task or an interrupt routine. This basic functionality may be extended so that a task can pend on a message queue (normally fifo), where other tasks and/or interrupts can add messages to a message queue.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    HI,
    i have a doubt about wating time(blank time or cool time or zero current) in my system. The current C code was not working without this blank period. Suppose, i would like to produce current for 1500ms and 600ms as cool time. I can stop the transformer until this 600ms period but how can i wait exactly 600ms or how to write a peice of code to make it work? Please give me any suggestions.

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If the device has a timer, and the timer is accurate enough, then use the timer. Otherwise, you may need to code a tight loop and calibrate the loop so it's timing can be programmed to very precise delays. This defeats any interrupt handling or multi-tasking since you'd probably need to do this with interrupts disabled to get the precise timing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook