1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Business applications

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1

nyr

Okay so I need help with 2 problems. One I did a bunch of work for but im not sure if my answers right, and the second I'm not sure how to start it.
    The first problem:

A real estate office handles 50 apartment units. When the rent is $720 per month, all units are occupied. However, on average, for each $40 increase in rent, one unit becomes vacant. Each occupied unit requires an average of $48 per month for services and repairs. what rent should be charged to obtain the maximum profit.

My work:

I set up an equation
    R= (50-x)(720+40x)-48(50-x)
    R'=1328-80x
    critical number at x=16.6

50-16.6=33.4
    R(16.6)/33.4=1336
    $1336 should be charged to obtain the maximum profit.

------------------------------------------------------

The second problem:
    When a wholesaler sold a certain product at $25 per unit, sales were 800 units per week. After a price increase of $5, the average number of units sold dropped to 775 per week. Assume that the demand function is linear and find the price that will maximize the total revenue.

I have no idea how to set up this problem

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?