Why is my C integer printing as a non-printable character?

• Thread starter jd12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the values of an integer and a numeric character in C. The output of the code in question results in a 2x2 box, which is the representation of a non-printable ASCII character. The conversation also mentions the use of the %d format specifier to print the integer value instead of the %c format specifier that prints the character representation.
jd12345
Ok so I was trying something in C when i found something i don't understand:-
code is:-
int c = 1;
printf("%c\n",c);
(not writing the include and return 0 stuff)

so when i run this it gives an output of a 2x2 box like this:-
0 0
0 1

whats happening. When i put the 1 in commas like this int c= '1' then it gives an ouput 1. Thats good but when i don't put the comma it gives this box, why?

Technology news on Phys.org
jd12345 said:
Ok so I was trying something in C when i found something i don't understand:-
code is:-
int c = 1;
printf("%c\n",c);
(not writing the include and return 0 stuff)

so when i run this it gives an output of a 2x2 box like this:-
0 0
0 1

whats happening. When i put the 1 in commas like this int c= '1' then it gives an ouput 1. Thats good but when i don't put the comma it gives this box, why?

I don't understand what you're talking about with the 2x2 box...

In C a character is a number: specifically, the value of a character is its ASCII code. Some characters, such as those whose ASCII codes are in the range 0 - 31, are nonprinting control characters.

There is a difference between the number 1 and the numeric character '1'. The value of the first is 1, of course, but the value of '1' is 49.

You can convince yourself of this by running this code.
Code:
printf("%c\n", 1);  // You won't see anything on the screen.
printf("%d\n", '1'); // Should print 49.

BTW, this-- , -- is a comma. This -- ' -- is a single quote.

oh sorry about the single quote and comma error

printf("%c\n",1); prints the box.
I tried it - on linux (ubuntu) with GCC (if that matters)

The 'box' you are seeing is what happens when you print one of the non-printable ASCII chars.

int c = 1; // assign a new int the value 1
int c = '1'; // assign a new int the integer value of the character '1' (which is 49)

printf("%c", c); // print the character representation of the integer variable c
printf("%d", c); // print the integer representation of the integer variable c

Have a look at the ASCII table. Notice that the integer 1 represents the SOH (start of heading) character which is not printable. If you want to print the number one as stored in your integer variable, you should use the %d format specifier not %c.

There are a few potential reasons why your C integer is printing as a non-printable character. One possibility is that you are using the wrong format specifier in your printf statement. The %c format specifier is used for printing characters, not integers. Therefore, when you pass an integer to it, it will try to interpret it as a character and print the corresponding ASCII value. In your case, the ASCII value for the integer 1 is a non-printable character, which is why you are seeing the box instead of the number 1.

To print an integer, you should use the %d format specifier. This will convert the integer to its decimal representation and print it as a number. Alternatively, you can use the %i format specifier, which will print the integer in either decimal, octal, or hexadecimal format depending on the input value.

Another possible explanation for the box output could be a mismatch between the data types you are using. In your code, you have declared the variable c as an integer, but you are passing it to a character format specifier. This can lead to unexpected results as the printf function will try to interpret the data as per the format specifier, which may not match the actual data type of the variable.

In summary, to avoid getting non-printable characters when printing integers, make sure to use the correct format specifier and ensure that the data type of the variable matches the format specifier being used.

1. What is an integer to character conversion?

An integer to character conversion is the process of converting a numeric value (integer) to its corresponding character or symbol in the computer's character set. This is often necessary when working with different data types or when displaying numbers as characters in user interfaces.

2. How is an integer converted to a character in programming languages?

The method for converting an integer to a character may vary slightly depending on the programming language, but the general process involves using a built-in function or method to convert the numerical value to its corresponding character code. This code can then be used to represent a specific character in the character set.

3. Can an integer be converted to any character?

No, an integer can only be converted to characters that are included in the character set of the programming language being used. Some programming languages may have limitations on which characters can be converted from integers, so it is important to check the documentation for specific guidelines.

4. What is the difference between an integer and a character?

An integer is a numerical value that represents a whole number, while a character is a symbol or letter in a computer's character set. Integers are typically used for mathematical calculations, while characters are used for text and symbols in programming languages.

5. How are integer to character conversions used in real-world applications?

Integer to character conversions are commonly used in real-world applications for tasks such as formatting numbers in user interfaces, generating barcodes and QR codes, and encrypting data. They can also be used for converting numbers to their corresponding ASCII or Unicode characters for text processing and manipulation.