Why is f1 not equal to zero in this C code for a six spring mass simulation?

• Thread starter Beeza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the code for the mass oscillating on six springs in three dimensions is getting extremely small variations in the y and z directions. The code includes a function to calculate the potential energy of the springs based on how far the mass is displaced from the origin, and it appears that not all of the potential energy is being converted to kinetic energy. If there are no external forces acting on the mass, energy should be conserved.
Beeza
I'll try to make this brief and more of a programming question than a physics question-- since I'm nearly positive my physics is correct.

I've written a simulation/code for a mass attached to six springs oscillating in 3-dimensions. The springs are each attached on the standard cartesian x-y-z axis. Take their anchor points to be + or - a on the x-axis. + or - b on the y axis, and + or - c on the z-axis. Now take a = b = c. Now, we should expect that given some initial displacement ONLY in the x-direction, there should be some oscillations only in the x-direction. This is true in my code, but I'm getting extremely small variations in the y and z directions.. oscillations on the order of 10^(-20).

One of the functions is as follows :
double result = 0.0,
f1 = 0.0,
f2 = 0.0,
f3 = 0.0,
f4 = 0.0;

f1 = b * ((y + b) / sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z + 2.0*b*y + b*b) + (y - b) / sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z - 2.0*b*y + b*b));
f2 = a * y * (1.0 / sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z + 2.0*x*a + a*a) + 1.0 / sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z - 2.0*x*a + a*a));
f3 = c * y * (1.0 / sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z + 2.0*z*c + c*c) + 1.0 / sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z -2.0*z*c + c*c));
f4 = 6.0 * y - (f1 + f2 + f3);
// printf ("%e %e %e %e\n", f1, f2, f3, f4);
result = - wo * wo * f4;
return (result);

Now, since given the initial conditions the first time through this function, as expected since y = 0, then f2 = 0 and f3 = 0. BUT, f1 does not equal zero! If we evaluate f1 for y = 0, then analytically equals zero, but the commented out print statement tells me something on the order of approximately 10^(-20). Is this just C being stupid and storing values wayyyy out in the decimals places or am I going crazy here? Have I just been staring at it too long and missed something stupid?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
You're compiler is using double precision, which machine are you using? When I was working with a CRAY, single precision was 16 decimals, double 32. If I remember correctly, on a PC single is 8 and double is 16 depending on the compiler. Now I would chalk up you [tex] 10^{-20}[/tex] to round-off error and your compiler.

Thanks Dr. Transport!

I'm just using a PC windows machine with JGrasp as my compiler.

The results are interesting. I expected the trajectory to be much more bizarre.

Attachments

• New.pdf
    63.1 KB · Views: 221
I'm getting weird errors too. I'm using GCC. When I add the compilation tag -O3, I get a different error.

dimensionless said:
I'm getting weird errors too. I'm using GCC. When I add the compilation tag -O3, I get a different error.

huh? I don't understand.

Floating point math is non-associative. More aggressive optimization levels permit the compiler to reorder operations, thus leading to different results.

You're counting on two numbers being identical except for sign and thus perfectly cancelling. That's not happening, indicating that perhaps the two numbers are arrived at with a different order of operations, or different operations are used. Without digging into the assembly, you probably won't know exactly what the compiler and the machine are doing.

On a Pentium-4 type PC (or Athlon, pretty much anything decent sold as a "PC" in the last five years) and with any reasonable compiler, a double means an IEEE-754 double. That's 64 bits. That doesn't map into an exact number of decimal digits, but typically I wouldn't worry too much about a relative error less than 10^{-14}.

One would expect a plot of the total energy, call it E, to be constant right? Am I going crazy?

[tex]

E = KE(\dot{x},\dot{y},\dot{z}) + U(x,y,z)

[/tex]

where U(x,y,z) is the potential energy function of the springs based on how far the mass is displaced from the origin (0,0,0). I'm getting a strange oscillating total energy. It seems as if not all of the potential energy is not being converted to kinetic energy.

Attachments

• hehoo.jpg
    hehoo.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
If there are no external forces than energy should be conserved.

If your time-marching solution was not conserving energy, most likely the amplitude of the motion would increase with time, or die away to zero.

So I would guess your energy calculations are wrong.

Try making the model simpler, so you know what the "correct" answers are. For example set the springs in the Y and Z directions to zero and simulate

1. Oscillation along the X axis (simple harmonic motion)
2. Oscillation along the Y axis with springs in the X direction only. This is not simple harmonic motion, but you can check that the strain energy in the springs at the maximum displacement is correct.

It's fixed. I re-derived all three Lagrangian equations -- What a pain in the neck! Here is the fixed energy plot.. but the title is wrong, it's 10 seconds.

Thanks Alephzero.

Attachments

• postphys.jpg
    postphys.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 396
Beeza said:
huh? I don't understand.
I tried compiling some C code at the Linux command line. Adding " -O3" to the command tells the compiler to optimize the output executable for faster execution.

What is the difference between C and other programming languages?

C is a high-level programming language that was originally developed for writing operating systems. It is known for its efficiency, portability, and low-level control over system resources. Other programming languages, such as Java and Python, are much more abstract and offer a wider range of applications.

Can C be used for scientific computing?

Yes, C can be used for scientific computing, although it may not be the most popular choice. C is a powerful language that allows for low-level manipulation of data and memory, making it well-suited for tasks that require high computational efficiency. However, other languages like Fortran and MATLAB are often preferred for their built-in scientific computing libraries and easier syntax for complex mathematical operations.

How does C relate to physics?

C is used in physics for a variety of purposes, such as data analysis, simulations, and instrument control. Many physics research labs use C to develop software for their experiments, as it allows for precise control over hardware and can handle large amounts of data efficiently.

What are some common applications of C in physics?

C is commonly used in physics for tasks such as numerical simulations, data analysis, and instrument control. It is also used to develop software for data acquisition, image processing, and signal processing in various fields of physics, including astrophysics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics.

Is C still relevant in modern physics research?

Yes, C is still a relevant language in modern physics research. While other languages may be more popular for certain tasks, C remains a powerful tool for low-level programming and efficient data handling. Many legacy codes and software tools in physics are written in C, and it continues to be a valuable language for developing new research tools and software.