Calc 3, Linear Algebra, Diff e q, physics 2 together?

In summary, it is possible to take Physics 2, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, and Multivariable Calculus together in one semester, but it might be a bit too much if those math classes are intro classes.
aznwiz66
Hi guys,
Do you think it's a good idea/possible to take Physics 2, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, and Multivariable Calculus together in one semester?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible. Are you a physics major?

If those math classes are intro classes..
I really thing it's OK...

But if those are demanding math classes suitable for physics or math UG
then try not to overload yourself..

I am myself still in UG

Its what I'm doing except instead of Linear Algebra I'm doing Statics.

A buddy of mine is doing similar except instead of Physics 2 he's taking some upper level CS course.

If you have time go for it. Subjects in each of those classes show up again in each others subjects.

I'm taking calc 3, linear algebra, diff. eq., statistics, and chem together. So it's possible, but I don't know how you would fare since I don't know you. I thought it was a good idea to get the math out of the way.

Yup. I'm doing it as well, plus one more class. From the general stuff I know about the subjects, there doesn't seem to be any information required (as a prerequisite I mean). The only thing might be when you get into matrix problems in ODEs, but the basics of that is rather simple so you don't need all of linear algebra to solve them.

I don't think it is a good idea to take Linear Algebra and Differential Equations at the same time. Too much of introductory differential equations is concerned with linear equations and is based on Linear Algebra. You need ideas and techiques from Linear Algebra in Differential Equations much earlier in the term than you get them in Linear Algebra. Take Linear Algebra one semester, Differential Equations the next.

(I once made the mistake of telling a student "Yes, she could take Linear Algebra and Differential Equations concurrently". She complained bitterly the next semester. It wouldn't have done me any good to point out that she had asked if she could do it, not if I thought it was a good idea. I won't make that mistake again! Answer the question that should have been asked, not just the one that was asked.)

Added after seeing the two responses: I am talking about a good differential equations course, not a "cookbook" course where you are told to "do this and you will get the answer".

If you don't use linear Algebra, how do you explain why you can make the general solution to, say, y''- 3y'+ 2y= 0, from the two "basic" solutions, [itex]e^x[/itex] and [itex]e^{2x}[/itex]?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
I don't think it is a good idea to take Linear Algebra and Differential Equations at the same time. Too much of introductory differential equations is concerned with linear equations and is based on Linear Algebra. You need ideas and techiques from Linear Algebra in Differential Equations much earlier in the term than you get them in Linear Algebra. Take Linear Algebra one semester, Differential Equations the next.

(I once made the mistake of telling a student "Yes, she could take Linear Algebra and Differential Equations concurrently". She complained bitterly the next semester. It wouldn't have done me any good to point out that she had asked if she could do it, not if I thought it was a good idea. I won't make that mistake again! Answer the question that should have been asked, not just the one that was asked.)

I think it depends on how the Differential Equations class is taught, I took DE before Linear Algebra, actually not even required to take LA at all. The LA stuff was self contained in the DE class and was really only briefly touched on towards then end. Ended up with an A and not having Linear Algebra didn't effect me in the slightest.

I'd think Calc III, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations would work together pretty well since they all have a lot of overlap between them.

Going to second the last post. My intro DE class had almost nil linear algebra. Ask somebody in the department at your school who will know more about the specific class.

osnarf said:
Going to second the last post. My intro DE class had almost nil linear algebra. Ask somebody in the department at your school who will know more about the specific class.
Now, that's the best advice yet!

At my school, Calc III is a pre-req for DiffEq.

Hate to conjure a somewhat old thread but I was thinking of doing Calc 3, DE/LA, and Physics 2 at the same time too. Differential Equations and Linear Algebra are a combined class and I'm not sure if that makes it easier or not. According to my curriculum, I'm actually supposed to take the DE/LA class before Calc 3.

The reason that I want to take Calc 3 at the same time is to match up with Physics 2 because they work so well together. Would I be at a big disadvantage by just taking DE/LA with Physics 2?

Thanks.

It's kind of cool how it works out actually. I'm now at the end of the semester, having taken LA, ODE's, and multivariable calculus. Everything works together so well, just different perspectives and methods for working on the same sort of problems. It really helps to gain a deeper understanding on what's going on.

Thanks for the reply hadsed. In your opinion would taking Phys 2 without Calc 3 be difficult? Regardless I'm going to self study a ton this summer to try to get way ahead. I'm just curious.

I took Calculus 3 (multi-variable), Differential Equations, and Physics 2 with a few general electives at once.

Depending on how comfortable you are with loosing sleep and how good you are at math and physics, go for it.

I took Multivariate Calculus, Linear Algebra I, Discrete Math I, Algorithmic Solving II(CS course), and English 2 in the same semester. My Linear Algebra course was a bit proofy so I do wish I had more time to handle all the course material, but I wasn't very stressed out or losing sleep or anything like that.

It really depends on your school and what type of student you are. This semester I took 6 courses and I sort of wish I could've taken one or two less than that because even though it was rather easy for me to get A's in the classes (they were really easy courses), I wish I had more time to think deeper about these things and make better connections. For me, the more classes I have the less I focus on things that don't matter for tests. This is especially true for professors that give difficult tests.

It's doable...

Last semester, I took Calc 3 (got an A), Linear Algebra (A-), Physics 1 (with lab) (A in both), Chemistry 1 (B+) (with A in lab), and Biology (with lab) (A in both)

This semester I took Mathematical Analysis (B), Physics 2 (with lab) (A in both), ODEs (A), Chem 2 (A-)(with B in lab), and Bio 2 (with lab) (A in both)

Next semester I'm taking:

PDEs, Modern Physics 1 (with lab), Vector Analysis, Complex Analysis, Abstract Algebra

I'm retarded and took almost all my core classes my first year.. so now I have to take nothing but major classes x_x

It's tough and I really wouldn't recommend it! lol
Take your core classes and spread them out!

Update.

It's definitely doable! I got straight A's in all of my classes! Thanks to all of you!

aznwiz66 said:
Update.

It's definitely doable! I got straight A's in all of my classes! Thanks to all of you!

Me too. Since everything was math it was easier to focus without having to hop around many loosely tied subjects.

Isn't that a normal load for 1 semester?

I think that it's easily possible.

Depends on the school and the department and how hard you plan on working more than anything.

Personally, I'm taking Calc III, Linear Algebra and Diff Eqs this summer (with English and Health) and I don't think the material is very difficult for any of these courses if you've done well in Calc I/II but it may take a bit of work to keep up with assignments in your course load if your professors are heavy on work.

If you can try to look up information on the potential professors you could have for each course. It may also be helpful if you ask around with some older students and see what they say about the courses difficulty with respect to what you've taken already.

In the end there is a probably an answer as to whether or not *you* can do this course load at *your school* but it's hard to say in general whether a particular course load is going to be too much.

Good luck with whatever schedule you end up deciding on,
Elwin

From my experience it isn't too demanding. Last year fall semester I took ODE's, Linear Algebra I, Multivariable Calc I, Oscillations and Waves, and Intro electromagnetism. The workload was pretty intense, I have to admit, but I never once found myself complaining about anything or failing to meet a deadline.

1. What is the difference between Calc 3 and Linear Algebra?

Calc 3 is a continuation of Calculus 1 and 2, focusing on multivariable calculus and topics such as vector calculus and partial derivatives. On the other hand, Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector spaces, matrices, and linear transformations. While both involve working with multiple variables, the focus and applications of the two subjects are different.

2. How important is it to have a strong foundation in Calculus before taking Differential Equations?

Having a strong foundation in Calculus is crucial for success in Differential Equations. Many concepts in Diff E Q, such as integration techniques and understanding derivatives, build upon the knowledge and skills learned in Calculus. It is recommended to have a thorough understanding of single-variable Calculus before tackling Differential Equations.

3. How do physics and mathematics relate in Physics 2?

Physics 2 involves applying mathematical concepts and techniques to solve problems in electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and optics. In this course, the understanding of concepts in Calculus and Linear Algebra becomes essential in solving complex physics problems. Conversely, physics provides real-world applications for the mathematical concepts learned in Calc 3, Linear Algebra, and Diff E Q.

4. What are some common applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has many applications in various fields, including engineering, economics, computer science, and physics. Some common uses include data analysis, image processing, and machine learning. In engineering, Linear Algebra is used in designing electrical circuits, control systems, and structures. In economics, it is used in analyzing supply and demand models and calculating optimal solutions. In computer science, Linear Algebra is applied in developing algorithms and data structures.

5. How can I best prepare for these courses?

To prepare for Calc 3, Linear Algebra, Diff E Q, and Physics 2, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in precalculus and single-variable calculus. Reviewing and practicing essential concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and algebraic manipulation is also helpful. Additionally, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills can greatly aid in understanding and applying the material in these courses.