1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc III. Vectors and the Geometry of Space

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use vectors to find the points of trisection of the line segment with endpoints (1,2) and (7,5).

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know where to start. i tried to create a standard vector equation but its a line segment not a vector.

please help when possible.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you had two position vectors a and b, then how could you describe the line segment in terms of these vectors? Then what do you imagine the coordinates of position vectors at the trisection points will be?
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    answer question?

once i create a standard vector, can say that the points of trisection are at the scalar multiples of v? then translate them back to the line segment at its original position? so if the standard vector is <6,3> and take 1/3 v the points of trisection on that vector are (2,1) and (4,2). once i translate that, would the answer be (3,3) and (5,4) ?
  5. Oct 24, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not without saying what v is!

Is v the vector from (1, 2) to (7, 5)? If so, then what you are doing is correct and you have the right answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?