Struggling with Calculus Limits?

• Thread starter J-Girl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with evaluating limits in calculus. They provide several examples and attempts at solving them, but are unsure if their solutions are correct. They also mention difficulties in understanding the material.
J-Girl
Limits- need help!

Hi all, I am currently doing calculus in maths and finding it difficult, keep going through the material but its not making sense and not providing much explanation on solved problems. Can anybody help me with a few questions, i have attempted them but would pleasepleaseplease like somebody to check them and tell me if I am wrong, and a solution??

Evaluate the following limits, if they exist:
a) lim
x--> -2 (x^3 + x^2 -x+2)
=(-2)^3 + (-2)^2 -(-2) + 2
=-8 + 4 + 2 + 2
=0, so the limit of f(x)=0

b)lim
x--> -1 (x+3)/|x-2|
pos= (-1+3)/(-1-2)
= 2/-3
neg= (x+3)/-(x-2)
= (x+3)/(-x--2)
=(x+3)/(-x+2)
=(-1+3)/(--1+2)
=2/(1+2)
=2/3
so, since there is no unique value (-2/3 and 2/3) the limit does not exist

c)lim
x-->2- (x+3)/|x-2|
neg= (x+3)/-(x-2)
= (x+3)/(-x--2)
=(x+3)/(-x+2)
=(2+3)/(-2+2)
=5/0
= no limit

d) lim
x-->0 ((x+4)^2-16)/4x
=x^2+4x+4x+16-16
=x^2 +8x
=(x^2 + 8x)/4x
=(x+8)/4
=(0+8)/4
=8/4
=2

e) lim
x-->-infinity (x^3 + x^2 + x -2)/(2-5x)^3
divide numerator and deniminator by x^3
=(x^3+x^2+x-2)/(8-60x+150x^2-125x^3)
dividing numberator & denominator by x^3
i got lim 1/lim -125, so limit is -1/125

id really appreciate if somebody could please just reassure me:) thanx!

Physics news on Phys.org

The first problem I see is in b). If x is a number close to -1, then x-2 is negative. There is no need to consider a positive case.

What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is a fundamental concept that represents the value a function is approaching as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point.

How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you need to evaluate the function at values that are closer and closer to the specified point. This can be done through direct substitution or by using algebraic techniques such as factoring or rationalization.

What are the rules for finding limits?

There are several rules for finding limits in calculus, including the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules. These rules allow you to simplify complicated functions and evaluate their limits more easily.

What is L'Hopital's rule and how is it used to find limits?

L'Hopital's rule is a technique used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of the ratio of two functions is indeterminate, then the limit of the ratio of their derivatives is equal to the original limit. This rule can be applied repeatedly until an answer is obtained.

What are some real-life applications of limits in calculus?

Limits in calculus have many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model the behavior of systems, optimize functions, and solve real-world problems involving rates of change and optimization. For example, limits can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a moving object, or to determine the maximum profit a company can make given certain constraints.