Calc Physics 2 w/ Algebra Phy 1

In summary, the speaker needs to take physics 2 in order to graduate, but does not want to take the algebra based course. They are wondering if it is possible to take the calculus based course without taking the algebra based one. They are also considering getting credit for physics 2 through a Bachelors of Arts in Chemistry, but would prefer to take the course with calculus if necessary. The requirements for a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry with a Biochemistry concentration may include calculus based physics.
whatlifeforme
I took algebra based physics 1, and need physics 2 to graduate. I don't want to take algebra based. Is it possible to take calc based physics 2 with taking algebra based physics 1?

If i talked to my school what would they say? What if I needed calc physics 1 and 2 for BS would they sub 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
The calc based is probably the prerequisite, so on those grounds it is unlikely they will let you take physics II that is a calc based class. However, is it REALLY necessary? That is a little more open to debate, and I'd wager that it might not be. That doesn't mean that your school will let you do it anyways though.

Is what really necessary?

1.If I do a Bachelors of Arts in Chemistry I can take physics 2 algebra and get the credit i need, but i hate to take it without calculus, but i will if i have to.2. Bachelors of Science Chemstry Any / Biochemistry Concentration: requires calc physics 1 and 2.

It depends on the course. My school's calculus-based physics 1 and 2 courses do not use calculus and only algebra.

I understand the importance of completing all necessary courses in order to graduate and obtain a degree. In terms of physics courses, it is generally recommended to take physics 1 (mechanics) before physics 2 (electricity and magnetism) as they build upon each other. However, it is possible to take calculus based physics 2 without taking algebra based physics 1, although it may require some extra effort to catch up on any missed concepts.

I would suggest speaking with your school or academic advisor to discuss your options and see if they can make any accommodations for you. They may be able to offer a condensed version of algebra based physics 1 or allow you to take a proficiency exam to demonstrate your understanding of the material.

If you need calculus based physics 1 and 2 for your degree, it is unlikely that they would substitute one for the other. Both courses cover different topics and provide a well-rounded understanding of physics principles. I would recommend discussing your concerns with your school to see if they can offer any solutions to help you complete both courses.

1. What is the difference between Calc Physics 2 and Algebra Phy 1?

Calc Physics 2 is a continuation of Algebra Phy 1, which means it builds upon the concepts learned in that course. In Calc Physics 2, you will use calculus to solve physics problems, while in Algebra Phy 1, you will use algebra and basic trigonometry.

2. How important is it to have a background in calculus for Calc Physics 2?

Having a strong understanding of calculus is essential for success in Calc Physics 2. Many of the concepts, such as derivatives and integrals, are used extensively in solving physics problems. It is recommended to take Calculus 1 before enrolling in Calc Physics 2.

3. What topics are covered in Calc Physics 2?

Calc Physics 2 covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, and rotational motion. Additionally, it delves deeper into these topics using calculus, including concepts like work, power, and torque.

4. Can I take Calc Physics 2 without taking Algebra Phy 1?

It is not recommended to take Calc Physics 2 without first completing Algebra Phy 1. The concepts and skills learned in Algebra Phy 1 are necessary for understanding and applying the calculus-based concepts in Calc Physics 2.

5. How can I prepare for Calc Physics 2?

To prepare for Calc Physics 2, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, algebra, and trigonometry. Reviewing and practicing these concepts before the course begins can help you feel more confident and successful in the course. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with some of the basic physics concepts and equations before the course starts.