Calculate Buoyancy of Barge: 2.8 x 10^5 kg, 19.8m Long, 10.5m Wide

• Thread starter Kickbladesama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the problem involves finding the depth of a flat-bottomed barge below the waterline, given its mass, dimensions, and the fact that it is floating in freshwater. This can be solved using Archimedes' principle and the formula for density. The volume of water displaced by the barge must be equal to its weight in order for it to float, and this can be used to find the depth of the barge below the waterline.
Kickbladesama

Homework Statement

A flat-bottomed barge, loaded with coal, has a mass of 2.8 x 10 ^(5) kg. The barge is 19.8 m long and 10.5 m wide. It floats in freshwater. What is the depth of the barge below the waterline?

Homework Equations

Archimedes principle
density = mass / volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the area to be 207.9 meters ^(2). Buoyant force = density x gravity x volume. I did 2.8 x 10 ^ (5) / 207.9 = 1346.80. I have no idea what to even do now. Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you divide the mass of the barge by the area of the bottom.
Do you have any idea why have you done this?

You have the formula for the buoyant force right.
The buoyant force must be equal to the weight of the barge (it floats).
What volume of water must be displaced in order to get this force?
Once you find the volume, imagine the barge as a rectangular box. How deep must it go in the water so that the volume of the submerged part is equal to the volume found above?

I have no idea why I did it lol...

What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object immersed in it. It is the result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

How is the buoyancy of a barge calculated?

The buoyancy of a barge is calculated by determining the weight of the displaced water by the barge, which is equal to the buoyant force acting on it. This can be found by using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

What is the weight of the barge?

The weight of the barge is 2.8 x 10^5 kg. This can be found by using the given mass of the barge and converting it into kilograms.

What are the dimensions of the barge?

The barge is 19.8m long and 10.5m wide. These dimensions are important in calculating the volume of the barge, which is necessary for determining the weight of displaced water and, subsequently, the buoyancy force.

How does the weight and dimensions of the barge affect its buoyancy?

The weight and dimensions of the barge directly affect its buoyancy. A heavier barge or one with larger dimensions will displace more water and therefore have a greater buoyancy force acting on it. This can be an important factor to consider when designing and loading a barge for specific purposes.