Calculate dBW from dBV and dBA

• Thread starter KyleGranger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of dBV and dBA to dBW. The conversion can be done by using the formula P=10^((e+f)/20) Watts, where P is power, e is dBV, and f is dBA. The conversation also touches upon the difference between 10 and 20 as multipliers, which is due to power being proportional to V^2. It is also mentioned that dBuA is commonly used in EMC standards, and that everything in circuit design is not necessarily in dB.
KyleGranger
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to figure out how to get dBW from dBV and dBA
I'm starting to consider filter design and notice that everything is in dB. I remember seeing this at some point in some previous coursework, but its completely slipped my mind. I know that there are plenty of online calculators, but I would really like to understand how to do the conversions myself.

Here is a really generic example that I am trying to figure out.

If I have a certain dBV and a certain dBA, how do I get dBW? I know that I can't simply multiply dBV*dBV since they're logarithms. Here what I think and where I get stuck.

if I have (e dBV) and (f (dBA), I can convert those to Volts and Amps using
(e dBV)=20log10(X)
X=10^(e/20) Volts

and

(f dBA)=20log10(Y)
Y=10^(f/20) Amps

knowing that P=V*I
P=10^(e/20)*10^(f/20)
P=10^((e+f)/20) Watts

I think this is right, but I'm not sure where to go to get back to dBW.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know that dBVand dBA use 20log10(x) but power is 10log10(x). I'm wondering why the difference in 10 and 20 as a multiplier. I read this has to do with power being proportional to V^2, but I'm still not sure how to do this and actually work it out.

I've never heard of dBA. You need to realize you cannot convert from volts to watts without knowing impedance. If you are simply increasing or decreasing volts into a given impedance, then it simply scales up or down. Make a few examples and do the math. It will make sense.

Likes KyleGranger
KyleGranger said:
I know that dBVand dBA use 20log10(x) but power is 10log10(x). I'm wondering why the difference in 10 and 20 as a multiplier. I read this has to do with power being proportional to V^2, but I'm still not sure how to do this and actually work it out.
Actually, dBA is not used as a unit in everyday electronics because it is confused with the acoustic unit dBA.
But your calculation is correct. Remember that decibels refer to ratios. For instance, dBV is decibels relaitve to 1 Volt. Here is an example.
Power is proportional to Voltage^2. So to express a voltage in decibels relative to 1 Volt we can use either dBV = 10 log V^2 or dBV = 20 log V.
To express a power ratio in decibels relative to 1 Watt we can use dBW = 10 log P.

Likes KyleGranger
dBuA, however, is commonly used in EMC standards. 0 dBuA = 1uA, 20 dBuA = 10uA.

Likes KyleGranger
Averagesupernova said:
I've never heard of dBA.
That's a good thing (lol) - although Power is I2R, same as V2/R. So dB's can be used and the factor is 20 for both.
KyleGranger said:
Summary:: I am trying to figure out how to get dBW from dBV and dBA

I'm starting to consider filter design and notice that everything is in dB
That's a bit of an overstatement, I think. The Maths of circuit design tends to use a linear scale because Voltages and Currents in circuits need to be Added and Subtracted. You can't do that with dBs. I'd suggest you go to another source of information for your filter design.

Likes KyleGranger
sophiecentaur said:
That's a good thing (lol) - although Power is I2R, same as V2/R. So dB's can be used and the factor is 20 for both.
Oh I realize increase or decrease in current means *20 the same as voltage. I've just never heard of spec'ing current in decibels. Somewhere I am sure it's done. Everything I think wouldn't have a reason to exist usually does in some form for a good reason.

Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman
KyleGranger said:
Log10(x^N) = N * Log10(x)

High school log identity.

P = V^2 / R

If you standardize the resistance/impedance, the R falls away and it's P ~ V^2 vs. V which with log10 gives a factor of 2.

Likes KyleGranger

1. What is dBW, dBV, and dBA?

dBW, dBV, and dBA are all units of measurement used in the field of acoustics and signal processing. dBW stands for decibels relative to one watt, dBV stands for decibels relative to one volt, and dBA stands for decibels relative to A-weighted sound level.

2. How do you calculate dBW from dBV and dBA?

To calculate dBW from dBV and dBA, you can use the formula: dBW = dBV + 10log10(R) + dBA, where R is the reference impedance (usually 1 ohm). This formula takes into account the voltage and sound level to calculate the power level in decibels.

3. Can you convert dBW to other units of measurement?

Yes, dBW can be converted to other units of measurement such as dBm (decibels relative to one milliwatt) or watts. This can be done by using the formula: dBm = dBW + 30.

4. What is the significance of calculating dBW from dBV and dBA?

Calculating dBW from dBV and dBA allows for a better understanding of the power level and sound level of a signal. This information is important in various fields such as telecommunications, audio engineering, and acoustics.

5. Are there any limitations to using dBW as a unit of measurement?

One limitation of using dBW is that it is a logarithmic unit, which means that small changes in the power level can result in large changes in the dBW value. This can make it difficult to accurately compare power levels between different signals. Additionally, dBW does not take into account the frequency content of a signal, so it may not accurately represent the perceived loudness of a sound.