Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Electric Field in Medium

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    Hello all! I'm studying for my final, and I'm trying to figure out my teacher's method for the following problem. Could you help me out?

A plane wave is propagating in free space with a frequency of 10 GHz. The amplitude of the electric field in the x-direction is Ex = 2 V m-1.
    (ii) Find the magnitude of electric and magnetic field if the plane wave is transmitted through a medium with relative permittivity .

She then goes on to say that you simply need to find the impedance of the material and set H=E/impedance. I realize that this is a true ratio, but shouldn't we have to calculate to magnitude of E in the medium? She uses the value of E in free space, which I think is wrong.

Her answers: E=2 V/m H=11.86 mA/m

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

relative permittivity... what? was there supposed to be a number after the word "permittivity" and before the period?

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I really hope there was more to the question than what you typed- as it stands, it's awful.

First, I wonder if the instructor is being cute- the *electric* field in a medium is the same as the electric field in empty space: it is the *displacement* field that is different in matter.

as for the magnetic field, here's how to get there: the magnitude of the magnetic induction B is E/c (c is the speed of light), and the permeability is found from the relationship between the permittivity, permeability, and c:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/elefie.html

I didn't run the number to see if that's correct. I bet writing all that down analytically, many extraneous factors cancel which will simplify the calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?