Calculate electric force between unlike atoms of a molecule?

In summary, to calculate the electric force between unlike atoms of a molecule, one must use Coulomb's Law which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is related to calculating electric force and is essential in determining whether the force between unlike atoms is attractive or repulsive. The distance between atoms also plays a significant role, as it decreases the force as it increases. Additionally, the force between unlike atoms can be stronger than the force between like atoms if the charges of the unlike atoms are larger.
HMS-776
How can I calculate the attractive electric force between the unlike atoms of a water molecule?

Would I use Coulomb's law?

Using Coulomb's law: I don't understand the radius I would use?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would use the Hellmann–Feynman theorem.

Related to Calculate electric force between unlike atoms of a molecule?

1. How do I calculate the electric force between unlike atoms of a molecule?

To calculate the electric force between unlike atoms of a molecule, you will need to use Coulomb's Law. This law states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. You will also need to know the charges of the atoms and the distance between them in order to plug them into the equation.

2. What is Coulomb's Law and how does it relate to calculating electric force?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is essential in calculating the electric force between unlike atoms of a molecule.

3. Can the electric force between unlike atoms of a molecule be attractive or repulsive?

The electric force between unlike atoms of a molecule can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the atoms. If the atoms have opposite charges, the force will be attractive. If the atoms have the same charge, the force will be repulsive.

4. How does the distance between atoms affect the electric force between them?

The distance between atoms has a significant impact on the electric force between them. According to Coulomb's Law, the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the particles. This means that as the distance between atoms increases, the force between them decreases.

5. Can the electric force between unlike atoms of a molecule be stronger than the force between like atoms?

Yes, the electric force between unlike atoms of a molecule can be stronger than the force between like atoms. This is because the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges. If the charges of the unlike atoms are larger than the charges of the like atoms, the force between the unlike atoms will be stronger.