Calculate Flow Velocity and Hole Diameter in Water Tank Problem

In summary, we are given a large tank filled with water and a small hole 16m below the surface with a flow rate of 2.5e^3 m^3/min. We need to calculate the velocity of the water as it leaves the hole and the diameter of the hole. Using the given equation, we can determine the pressure and velocity at the opening of the tank. With the information that the pool has zero velocity and the outside Y2 is zero, we can solve for the equation. The total pressure at the opening of the tank is atmospheric pressure plus the pressure due to the water at depth Y1. After some further calculations, we can determine the velocity and diameter of the hole.
rawimpact
1. A large tank isopen to the atmosphere and is filled with water. A small hole is 16m below the surface of the water. If the flow rate of the water is out of the hole is 2.5e^3 m^3/min, calculate: a)the velocity of the water as it leaves the hole and b) the diameter of the hole.
2. Let's say the pool is 1 and the hole is 2, P = pressure and P is density, i was given the equation: P1 + Pv1^2 + 1/2PY1 = P2 + 1/2PV2^2 + PY23. I have no clue how to solve this equation, can someone help me out please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the relevant formula given in 2.
Inside the pool velocity is zero. And outside the pool Y2 is zero.

rl.bhat said:
Check the relevant formula given in 2.
Inside the pool velocity is zero. And outside the pool Y2 is zero.

So the equation is:

P1 + 1/2PY1 = P2 + 1/2PV2^2

Correct?

Where do i go from here?

Again check the left hand side of the equation.

Can you please explain the equation, i do not understand it so i really do not know what the velocities are

OK. At the opening what is the total pressure inside the tank?

rl.bhat said:
OK. At the opening what is the total pressure inside the tank?

Well since it is exposed to the atmosphere, isn't it atmospheric pressure? 1.01x10^5 Pa?

rawimpact said:
Well since it is exposed to the atmosphere, isn't it atmospheric pressure? 1.01x10^5 Pa?
Plus the pressure due to the water at the depth Y1

Ok, I've figured it out, thank you for all of your help. I have another problem, should i continue that here or start another thread?

You can continue here.

1. What is flow rate?

Flow rate is the measurement of the volume of fluid that passes through a particular point in a given unit of time. It is often expressed in liters per second, cubic meters per hour, or gallons per minute.

2. How is flow rate calculated?

The formula for calculating flow rate is Q = V/t, where Q is the flow rate, V is the volume of fluid, and t is the time it takes for the fluid to pass through the point. This formula can be modified depending on the units of measurement being used.

3. What factors affect flow rate?

Flow rate can be affected by a number of factors, including the size and shape of the container or pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure or force applied to the fluid.

4. What are some common problems with flow rate?

Some common problems with flow rate include clogging or blockages in the flow path, changes in the density or temperature of the fluid, and leaks or breaks in the container or piping.

5. How can flow rate problems be solved?

Flow rate problems can be solved by properly maintaining equipment, adjusting flow rates to match changing conditions, troubleshooting for any potential issues, and using appropriate tools and techniques to measure and monitor flow rate.