Calculate how much surface area/volume of water

In summary,does anyone have a formula or a good link to show how to calculate how much surface area/volume of water it takes to push (from the bottom) a column of water of a certain width to a certain height.
tgn
does anyone have a formula or a good link to show how to calculate how much surface area/volume of water it takes to push (from the bottom) a column of water of a certain width to a certain height. I'm trying to make my own sump out of acrylic and i need to know this to get the dimension right so that i'd know exactly how much of the first chamber will be submersed in water and how much wil be dry. thanks,
:confused:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
Well have you tried using the concept of hydrostatic equilibrium? Try writing an equation relating the atmospheric pressure with the height of the water column.

Cheers
mav

maverick280857 said:
Well have you tried using the concept of hydrostatic equilibrium? Try writing an equation relating the atmospheric pressure with the height of the water column.

Cheers
mav
heheh yeah i was hoping someone would tell me what the formula or relationship is though, as I'm not a physics major, do recall doing this kind problem in general physics though.

It sounds like you have a common misconception about pressure: pressure doesn't get concentrated. If you take a container of any size, fill it with water and attach a hose to the bottom, the water in the hose will rise no higher than the level of the water in the tank.

russ_watters said:
It sounds like you have a common misconception about pressure: pressure doesn't get concentrated. If you take a container of any size, fill it with water and attach a hose to the bottom, the water in the hose will rise no higher than the level of the water in the tank.
oh... i guess I'm wroing, I've always thought with the larger surface area on 1 side and a small surface area on the other, water on the smaller side will rise to a higher level due to pressure downward on the other side with the larger surface area..
thanks for the correction

russ_watters said:

Well looking sleepily at the diagram, I though this was a problem involving pressure. Did you get it to work tgn?

cheers

Related to Calculate how much surface area/volume of water

1. How do you calculate the surface area of water?

The surface area of water can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the water body. For example, if the length of a pool is 10 meters and the width is 5 meters, the surface area of the water would be 50 square meters.

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of water?

The formula for calculating the volume of water is length x width x height. For example, if a water tank has a length of 5 meters, width of 3 meters, and height of 2 meters, the volume of the water in the tank would be 30 cubic meters.

3. How can you calculate the surface area of irregularly shaped bodies of water?

To calculate the surface area of irregularly shaped bodies of water, you can use a mathematical technique called integration. This involves dividing the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and calculating their surface areas. The sum of all the smaller surface areas will give you the total surface area of the water body.

4. What units are typically used to measure the surface area and volume of water?

The surface area of water is usually measured in square meters or square feet, while the volume of water is measured in cubic meters or cubic feet. In some cases, smaller units such as centimeters or inches may also be used.

5. How accurate are the calculations of surface area and volume of water?

The accuracy of the calculations depends on the accuracy of the measurements and the chosen formula. If the measurements are precise and the formula used is appropriate for the shape of the water body, the calculations can be very accurate. However, they may not be completely accurate due to factors such as evaporation or the presence of waves.