Calculate mean path length of a magnetic circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of mmf drops in a magnetic circuit using the formula F = HL, with specific dimensions and an equivalent circuit provided. The mean permeability in the loop is determined by the length of the drawn path, and it is mentioned that the flux is spread almost equally in the cross section area of the core. However, it is noted that the practical μr for iron can vary depending on the direction of the iron plates being rolled. Additionally, the center leg typically has a double cross section area compared to the left/right leg.
TheRedDevil18
Given this magnetic circuit:
Lam details.PNG

With these dimensions:
Dim.PNG

With this equivalent circuit:
Circuit act.PNG

If I am using F = HL to calculate the mmf drops in RcoreAB(see equivalent circuit) and RcoreBCDA(see equivalent circuit) then how would I calculate L in the formula ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have two loops ( left/right ). For the left loop you will have the drawn path length:

Liron + Lair
Lair = 2s.

In air the permeability is μ0, and in iron the permeability is μ = μ0r.

The mean length is the length of the drawn path. So you could ask: What is the mean permeability in the loop ?

#2: Figure comes here:

Attachments

• scan0020.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 723
So can I just sum the path directly in the middle of the loop or lamination ?, I heard that the center of the core is where the flux travels the most

TheRedDevil18 said:
So can I just sum the path directly in the middle of the loop or lamination ?
Yes, as the dashed lines in the figure indicates.

I think the flux will be spread almost equally in the cross section area of the core.

It cannot be calculated precisely anyway, because the practical μr for iron depends on the direction wherein the iron plates have been rolled: A flux direction parallel to the roll-direction results in the greatest μr. But then there is a problem with the corners of the core, where the flux must change direction, crossing the roll-direction.

PS: You mean the center leg? Yes of course: double up. But normally the center leg has the double cross section area as well ( compared to the left/right leg ).

What is the definition of mean path length in a magnetic circuit?

The mean path length in a magnetic circuit refers to the average distance that a magnetic flux travels through the circuit. It is a measure of the length of the magnetic field lines within the circuit.

How is mean path length calculated in a magnetic circuit?

The mean path length in a magnetic circuit can be calculated by dividing the total length of the magnetic circuit by the number of flux lines passing through it. It can also be determined by taking the average of the individual path lengths of each section of the circuit.

Why is mean path length important in magnetic circuit analysis?

Mean path length is important in magnetic circuit analysis because it helps to determine the amount of magnetic flux that can be generated by the circuit. It also affects the amount of magnetic energy that can be transferred through the circuit.

What factors can affect the mean path length in a magnetic circuit?

The mean path length in a magnetic circuit can be affected by the material used in the circuit, the shape and size of the circuit, and the presence of air gaps or other non-magnetic materials. It can also be influenced by the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

How can the mean path length be optimized in a magnetic circuit?

The mean path length in a magnetic circuit can be optimized by using materials with high magnetic permeability, minimizing air gaps, and designing the circuit with a compact and efficient shape. Increasing the number of turns in the circuit can also help to optimize the mean path length.