Calculate number of microstates of n harmonic oscillators

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
opaka
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider a system of N localized particles moving under the influence of a quantum, 1D, harmonic oscillator potential of frequency ω. The energy of the system is given by
E=(1/2)N[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω + M[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω

where M is the total number of quanta in the system.

compute the total number of microstates as a function of N and M.

Homework Equations



not sure. Maybe the volume of a 1N dimensional sphere?

The Attempt at a Solution


My first attempt was simply (M+N-1)!/(M)!(N-1)!
but I was re reading the text, and was wondering if I should back up and use the procedure outlined for the ideal gas, but using the positive 1/8 of a 1N dimensional sphere rather than a 3N dimensional sphere. Any thoughts?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
opaka said:

Homework Statement


Consider a system of N localized particles moving under the influence of a quantum, 1D, harmonic oscillator potential of frequency ω. The energy of the system is given by
E=(1/2)N[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω + M[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω

where M is the total number of quanta in the system.

compute the total number of microstates as a function of N and M.

Homework Equations



not sure. Maybe the volume of a 1N dimensional sphere?

The Attempt at a Solution


My first attempt was simply (M+N-1)!/(M)!(N-1)!
but I was re reading the text, and was wondering if I should back up and use the procedure outlined for the ideal gas, but using the positive 1/8 of a 1N dimensional sphere rather than a 3N dimensional sphere. Any thoughts?

I think your first answer is the correct one. You are just trying to figure out how to put M indistinguishable objects into N distinguishable boxes.